Go Down

Topic: How to make a Receiver Module for Visible light? (Read 208 times) previous topic - next topic

Kervs

Mar 26, 2019, 10:42 am Last Edit: Mar 26, 2019, 02:52 pm by Kervs Reason: Clarity of what i want to do
Hi,
This is what i want to do.  As silly as it seems.
I am a newbie.

Aim:

1) It would be used in a dark room with minimal light
2) I will change the IR LED in a remote control to a white LED.
3) On the Ardunio side, i would like a receiver for a Visible light sensor.
4) i will use the IR code from the library.

Question:
1) Can anyone please advise how to achieve this.

Side Note:
I want to do something like what this guy is doing but using visible light.
http://www.electronoobs.com/eng_arduino_tut34

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks Everyone!

knut_ny

The IR receiver is sensitive to a specific frequency  (often 38kHz +/-)  It decodes the incoming light.
Example datasheet

It can be tricky  to make a sender/receiver combo that in not using a carrier frequency. 
Try it.  LED + Photodiode/phototransistor.
I guess the sender part of the library  must be altered to remove the carrier freq.
Ny

Idahowalker

What might work is a sun tracker. Do a search on "solar tracker diy" for some ideas. You'd just be scaling your project for the light source.

Paul_KD7HB

Hi,
This is what i want to do.  As silly as it seems.
I am a newbie.

Aim:

Question:
1) Can anyone please advise how to achieve this.

Side Note:
I want to do something like what this guy is doing but using visible light.
http://www.electronoobs.com/eng_arduino_tut34

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks Everyone!

I don't know the answer, but you need to do some more research on how an IR remote control works and how the IR sensor receives and processes the IR signal.

Then research your white LED. Be advised there are NO white LEDS, even though you and I both use them all the time. What you have are two LEDs in one package that emit blue light of two different wave lengths. That blue light excites a coating material that then emits what we see as "white" light. This is exactly the same process as the florescent tube lights have.

So, that said, you need to find white LEDs that can be turned on and off at a very high rate, just as the IR led is driven for the IR remote control.

Paul

pylon

Define "minimal light"! This probably works only if there is no other light at all (depends a bit on the distance between the remote and the receiver).

Why does it have to be a white LED? If white is necessary specify the exact type so we know the emitted color spectrum.

With IR LEDs the signal is modulated to a 38kHz carrier in the majority of cases. I'm not aware of a receiving sensor that filters for a carrier frequency in the visible spectrum.

That won't work as that uses the 38kHz carrier for the sending part and expects a filtering sensor on the reception side that filters the signal for that 38kHz carrier.

Please explain what you're trying to achieve (and not how you think it should be achieved).

Geek Emeritus

I would try a flame sensor first. if that did not work I would try using a photocell as a replacement for the IR sensor on the same module
All PMs will be deleted unopened due to arrogant argumentative pot stirring Malfoys.
 If you have not read "How to use this forum - please read", in particular: "7. If you are posting code or error messages, use "code" tags":  expect rude responses

MorganS

As noted, the phosphor in a white LED will make it impossible to modulate at 38kHz. A pure LED of any other color will be ok.

The receiver may even work unmodified from the original. The reason it does not respond to normal light like sunlight is no other light has that 38kHz frequency.

Start with a red LED. That's closest to IR. If there is any dark lens over the receiver, remove it.
"The problem is in the code you didn't post."

Go Up