Arduino and sound project

Hello,

I am new to the world of Arduino, and I am going to purchase one this weekend along with any necessary accessories.

I have a project which is challenging for me as I have never worked with this device and I am hoping someone can steer me in the right direction.

I currently have a mechanical machine with coils. There are 4 buttons on the machine. When button number one is pressed, it activates coil # 1 by sending a 5 volt electrical current. The coil then expands and hits bell #1. The functionality is the same for the the remaining coils - button # 2 activates coil number and then bell # 2, and so forth.

I would like to replace the 4 coils and and bells with an arduino solution instead.

When a button is pressed, the arduino unit would identify which button was activated, receive a 5 volt current and then play a custom sound (.wav file is sufficient) for a few seconds (probably 3 seconds) which would be unique for each button. So, button 1 would play sound clip 1, button 2 sound clip 2, etc.

I hope that something as I explained can be put together and work. I am not certain what components are required for such a project and how difficult it would be to put together something like this.

This little project does not seem too complicated. I imagine that I would need an amplifier, speaker, some sort of sound control, and storage card.

My goal is to have something working by April 30.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. If there is a better way to do this project with other devices besides arduino, please recommend something.

Thanks in advance.

Solomin

The Arduino doesn't have a DAC (digital-to-analog converter) so there's no true analog output. The solution is an add-on [u]audio board[/u]. The Arduino simply acts as a controller to choose the file to play, start/stop the sound, adjust the volume, etc. The audio board (AKA "shield") has memory, a DAC, an audio clock and everything else needed.

I imagine that I would need an amplifier, speaker

Yes, or you can use regular "powered" computer speakers.