Go Down

Topic: avrdude.conf syntax error (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

hhyleung

Mar 23, 2019, 02:25 pm Last Edit: Mar 23, 2019, 02:27 pm by hhyleung
I am trying to configure a ATtiny84 to run on an external clock at 13.56MHz, and while configuring the fuses with the following command
Code: [Select]
avrdude -p attiny84 -b 19200 -c stk500v1 -P /dev/cu.usbmodem14201 -U lfuse:w:0xce:m -U hfuse:w:0xdf:m -U efuse:w:0xff:m -v -C avrdude.conf

I got this syntax error
avrdude: syntax error at avrdude.conf:1095

I looked into the avrdude.conf file and I assume line 1095 is causing the error?
1090  programmer
1091    id    = "jtag3";
1092    desc  = "Atmel AVR JTAGICE3 in JTAG mode";
1093    type  = "jtagice3";
1094    connection_type = usb;
1095    usbpid = 0x2110, 0x2140;
1096  ;

Thanks in advance, any help would be greatly appreciated.

pert

Assuming the line numbers are not actually part of the text, I don't see any problem with that section of your avrdude.conf. What I suspect is that you're using a version of avrdude that is not compatible with this format of avrdude.conf.

Please post the complete avrdude output. Hopefully, that will tell me which version of avrdude you're using, and where this avrdude.conf came from.

hhyleung

Yep those line numbers were added for indication purpose. I have just updated my avrdude from 6.0.1 to 6.3 and now I got this new error
avrdude: Version 6.3, compiled on Sep 21 2018 at 19:15:33
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"
avrdude: error at /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf:1133: programmer type jtagice3_updi not found
avrdude: error reading system wide configuration file "/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

While line 1133 would be
1130  programmer
1131    id    = "xplainedpro_updi";
1132    desc  = "Atmel AVR XplainedPro in UPDI mode";
1133    type  = "jtagice3_updi";
1134    connection_type = usb;
1135    usbpid = 0x2111;
1136  ;

Thanks!

pert

Arduino has their own customized version of avrdude. You need to use Arduino's avrdude with Arduino's avrdude.conf. Arduino's avrdude is in /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin.

hhyleung

I could not find the avrdude.conf file in the bin folder, do you mean I have to run the avrdude inside that folder? If so, how can I do that? Sorry for asking as I am a newbie and have really no knowledge regarding avrdude.

pert

avrdude.conf is in /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc

The avrdude executable should be in /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin. avrdude.conf is not in that folder.

Disclaimer: I have never used macOS and I don't own a Mac so I can't check. This information is based on my experience with Windows and Linux. I'd be surprised if it's different on Mac.

hhyleung

Thanks a lot for your help, it works like a charm now!

pert

You're welcome. I'm glad to hear it's working now. Enjoy!
Per

Go Up