how can I measure the frequency of sound?

MarkT:
Everyone seems to get this wrong, you must sample definitely more than twice the signal frequency.
In practice due to the requirement of having a practical anti-aliasing filter design, a lot more than twice is good
to have. 2.5 to 3 times is about the minimum you see in practice even with sophisticated anti-aliasing.

Mark if you were to draw out a 12khz waveform and take two samples of it how accurate do you think that wouldbe if you were trying to reproduce it. Your being conservative. Sample at 44k and you makeme happy. My hearing cuts out at about 12k maybe a wee bit higher. Still sounds like crap to a trained ear but im happy. Sample at 92k ( or id it 98...I forget) and it sounds beautifulish. 92/12 equals almost nine times. Two times sampling sounds like that chick at burger king on that cheap radio headset. Play with your computer sound card and youll see. By the way a usb sound card would do this nicely for about five bucks
Want some me fries with that?
Ps. I already asked if that was the goal in the first place. Are we sampling by recreating the wheel?
Jc