Go Down

Topic: Using a gyro/accelerometer to measure water level? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

mjbmikeb

I ordered a liquid level sensor from Sparkfun and received a gyro/accelerometer (SEN-10121) by mistake :-(

I could just pay the postage, send it back, wait 20 days for the postal round trip and the right sensor to arrive, or I could try to use it.

I've seen tuning fork liquid level sensors. Is building this kind of thing achievable using hand tools and a basic oscilloscope?
Will I be able to get a reading proportional to the level, or will it just be a true/false type of sensor?

AWOL

Could you use the accelerometer as a tilt sensor and mount it on a float arm?

I doubt most accelerometers' bandwidth would be sufficient to measure a tuning fork's frequency with any accuracy?

jraskell

I could just pay the postage, send it back, wait 20 days for the postal round trip and the right sensor to arrive, or I could try to use it.

Where are you located?  I received an order from Sparkfun this past Thursday that was incomplete.  A quick email to Customer Service and they sent the missing items out 2nd day air the next day.  I should have them tomorrow.

mjbmikeb

I'm half a world away in Australia hence the 20 day round trip for post.

I'll have a look at the tilt sensor idea.

Go Up