Go Down

Topic: Library to help beginners! (Read 2118 times) previous topic - next topic

MAS3

Hey TomasRoj, welcome.

It's nice to see you'd like to contribute to the community, i've seen some of your threads which show you would like to do so (in any way).

You started this thread stating it would be good to...
But you never told us why you think this would be good.
I have to guess you have seen some kind of problem and are trying to fix that problem.
But most of the (seasoned) users over here don't seem to see the problem you are trying to tackle.

So perhaps you'd like to explain why it would be good to...
And what problem do you see and are you trying to tackle.

I'll hold my comments on your initiative for a while, but i'm not convinced it'll do what you want it to do.
Have a look at "blink without delay".
Did you connect the grounds ?
Je kunt hier ook in het Nederlands terecht: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html

TomasRoj

Hi everyone,

some of you hate my BasicsLibrary a library for beginners. I understand you. Code is not good, and many more thing are not just ok. But in front of telling that this library is trash we can discuss what would be the right library for beginners or if is there any?

Tom

gfvalvo

I don't understand what problem you're trying to solve with a "beginner's library". Arduino beginners need to learn to rudimentary C programming and the "Arduino Way".

The first few Built-In examples are an excellent place to start. They show some basic programming constructs as well as how to print, read inputs, set outputs, fades LEDs, debounce switches, BwoD, detect state changes etc. Beginners don't need (and should not use) "libraries" to do these things.

Effective learning always starts with the basics. That means starting with simple, well-written code and understanding what every line does. Then expanding and trying things on their own. This is where the Arduino ecosystem really shines. Starting out too early using libraries as a crutch is not helpful, especially if that code is of dubious quality.

No technical questions via PM. They will be ignored. Post your questions in the forum so that all may learn.

UKHeliBob

what would be the right library for beginners or if is there any?
I don't believe that there is such a thing.  Libraries hide how they work rather than letting newcomers explore the environment.  To do that they need to try examples then change them.

Suppose your library blinks an LED at a fixed rate like the Blink and BWoD examples.  How would a newcomer change the blink rate ?  Whereas using the examples it does not take a genius to guess what to change to alter the blink rate and if you guess wrong then you may even learn from it but can always go back and try again.

The existing Arduino functions used in the examples hide just enough of what is going on behind the scenes without needing to explicitly #include a library and provide a god starting point for experimentation.
Please do not send me PMs asking for help.  Post in the forum then everyone will benefit from seeing the questions and answers.

JCA79B

Problem with today's young people, even after 10 years of public school "education", they still have very poor reading skills and little comprehension of what they are able to read. They try to learn programming from YouTube videos to avoid the "drudgery" of "UGHH" reading, and jump into the middle of a complex project without understanding the fundamentals.

AWOL

Please stop creating new threads on the same topic.

Robin2

some of you hate my BasicsLibrary a library for beginners.
Dislike or disagree with, but not hate.

Hate is a very strong word - it should be avoided in all walks of life.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

J-M-L

Apr 03, 2019, 12:03 am Last Edit: Apr 03, 2019, 12:04 am by J-M-L
some of you hate my BasicsLibrary a library for beginners. I understand you. Code is not good, and many more thing are not just ok. But in front of telling that this library is trash we can discuss what would be the right library for beginners or if is there any?
The key value of a library is to abstract complexity by offering a higher level programming interface, where beginners don't need to read rhe code to do something complicated, like read acceleration from a MPU, find température or altitude from a sensor, drive a stepper with acceleration etc... What you are offering is a (poorly coded because of include, pin etc) collection of snippets that the beginner Needs to read to "learn" anything (no doc)...and it's nothing better than dedicated libraries. Want to manage button -> find a button library, read the examples. Want to manage a stepper, find a library like accelStepper, read the extensive doc and examples... etc

If you want to do something that helps, write tutorials about doing things that are not in the basic examples of common libraries or combining multiple elements
Hello - Please do not PM me for help,  others will benefit as well if you post your question publicly on the forums.
Bonjour Pas de messages privés SVP, postez dans le forum directement pour que ça profite à tous

neiklot

It would be good to have all in one library that conatins many examples for beginners.
You're starting off with a false assumption...

Coding Badly

You're starting off with a false assumption...
Possibly false.  You failed to provide evidence that the assumption is actually false.

Robin2

Let's put the semantics to one side and see if we can help the OP ?

we can discuss what would be the right library for beginners or if is there any?
@TomasRoj, I think your focus on a solution was premature given your experience. That does not mean that you are wrong to think that something new could be useful for beginners. You have the advantage (compared to me, for example) that you are a beginner yourself and that may make you more conscious of things that confuse newbies.

Start by describing the problem that you think needs to be fixed. Leave the question of a solution until later.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

TomasRoj

Thanks everyone for response. I consulted with some people etc. and i think we can close this discussion.

Go Up