How To Control and Display Opening Precentage of Linier Actuator to Phone

Please Help.

Hello everyone, I'm joni from Indonesia.

Please help, how to control and display the precentage opening of linier actuator (with magnetic reed sensor built in) by android phone through wifi. I have bought Arduino Mega 2560 and wifi modul esp8266.

Code and skematic.

Please help, or anybody who has the same problem please share.

Personally, I'd forget the android/wifi part to start with and get the thing "sweeping" in and out in a loop and reporting its position in the serial monitor to start.

Or are you already past that stage?

Not yet, just received arduino and wifi modul that I bought online. And I don't know how to instaling reed actuator sensor, instal arduino to wifi, or wifi to phone, I'm really new to this arduino.

As @neiklot suggested, leave all the wireless stuff to one side for now and figure out how to make the actuator work with your Atmega 2560.

Then extend your program so you can control the actuator using messages sent from the Serial Monitor.

When all that is working put it to one side and concentrate on getting the wireless stuff to send and receive a simple message such as "hello world".

When you can do both separately it will be time to think about combining them.

...R

I'm trying to visualize how you can tell percentage in or out with a reed switch, which is surely more likely to be a limit switch? Unless you can rig lots of switches and or lots of magnets to indicate a grainy position?

Do you have the actuator? Perhaps we should hear about it: how it gets controlled, how it gets powered, etc etc

Robin2:
Then extend your program so you can control the actuator using messages sent from the Serial Monitor.

Great idea, since I expect parsing commands inbound is the same if they come from the monitor or a phone.

neiklot:
I'm trying to visualize how you can tell percentage in or out with a reed switch, which is surely more likely to be a limit switch? Unless you can rig lots of switches and or lots of magnets to indicate a grainy position?

Do you have the actuator? Perhaps we should hear about it: how it gets controlled, how it gets powered, etc etc

Yes, I have an actuator with reed magnetic sensor, it's installed to a valve that control of water flow, it's powered 38 vdc by relays, and controlled by level of water tank, but it's still manually operated, I want to control and monitor it by my phone through wifi, so I start learn about arduino.

Should I change reed sensor to hall effect sensor so the arduino can read the stroke position? Because I searched so many tutorial on google and youtube they're all use hall effect sensor, not found yet whose use reed sensor.

Please reply. Help.

A hall sensor and a reed sensor both really just sense the presence or absence of a magnet. Ones solid state, ones mechanical.

No difference in practical terms I'm sure.

I'm not sure how either will tell you the position, other than being at one end or the other, depending on the layout of the sensor and the magnet. A reed switch will just tell you the magnet's there or not there.

I think you first need to figure out what reading the switch is able to tell you.

Yes, the reed sensor has magnet which rotate near/beside the reed sensor when the actuator work, the magnet mount on shaft gear.

Ok so you need to count rotations?

I'm not competent to say though, how you might connect the Arduino to the reed switch when it presumably is connected to the existing system....

Yes to count rotation, I think it can represent the percentage of the stroke.

Is it possible to arduino recognise which direction the actuator gear rotate by only one reed sensor?

Jhermawanto:
Please Help.

Hello everyone, I'm joni from Indonesia.

Please help, how to control and display the precentage opening of linier actuator (with magnetic reed sensor built in) by android phone through wifi. I have bought Arduino Mega 2560 and wifi modul esp8266.

Code and skematic and here.

Please help, or anybody who has the same problem please share.

Jhermawanto:
Yes to count rotation, I think it can represent the percentage of the stroke.

Is it possible to arduino recognise which direction the actuator gear rotate by only one reed sensor?

You are providing far too little information and we seem to have to drag little pieces from you one at a time. We should not have to wait until Reply #10 to discover that you have something that rotates. And, even now, you have not told us how fast it rotates or how many pulses per revolution are produced by your reed switch.

Provide a diagram that clearly shows the mechanical arrangement and as much other information as you can think of. Keep in mind that we can't see your project and the only information we have is what you have given us. See this Simple Image Upload Guide

...R