Go Down

Topic: Using PLX DAQ to write to different Excel cells from an Arduino Uno (Read 370 times) previous topic - next topic

kniappp

I'm trying to write to varying cells in Excel using PLXDAQ from an Arduino Uno but can't find how to do it - or if it's possible.

Serial.print((String)"CELL,SET,",A6,50);

writes the value 50 into cell A6 with no problem but as soon as I try to use a string in place of A6 it bombs out.
Might be that I'm not getting the string syntax correct (I'm a bit of a beginner programming the Uno) or might be that it's not possible using PLX DAQ.
Can anyone help?

sumguy

There are several ways to accomplish what you want but going with the example you posted you might try something along these lines

Code: [Select]
void setup() {
Serial.begin(9600);
}

int row=2;
int data=1;

void loop() {

Serial.print("CELL,SET,A");
Serial.print(row);  //row variable
Serial.print(",");
Serial.println(data);  //data variable

delay(1000);

row++;
  data++;

}

This allows you to change the row and data variable, you might be able to see that the addition of another Serial.print instruction would allow you to also use a variable for the column.

As it is the four Serial instructions output one continuous string :- "CELL,SET,A value contained in row , value contained in data" . It is important to note that the last Serial instruction is println , all PLX-DAQ commands must be terminated with a newline character. The syntax of all the commands is detailed in the "Beginners Guide" which comes packaged with PLX-DAQ v2.

sumguy

If you wanted to improve the above example and reduce the Serial instructions to one there are a couple of options.

Using the library function sprintf
void setup() {
Serial.begin(9600);
}

int row=2;
int data=1;
char buffer[20];

void loop() {

sprintf(buffer, "CELL,SET,A%i,%i",row,data);
Serial.println(buffer);

delay(1000);

row++;
  data++;

}

Using String()
void setup() {
Serial.begin(9600);
}

int row=2;
int data=1;

void loop() {

Serial.println(String("") + "CELL,SET,A" + row + "," + data);
delay(1000);

row++;
  data++;

}

I would probably lean toward sprintf

kniappp

Many thanks SmugGuy - this is really useful stuff. I will get to spend some time on it this week and should get it working. The PLX DAQ info is good as far as it goes but the reference document I found is fairly limited so your information is extremely helpful.
Thanks again.

Go Up