Go Down

Topic: Urgent: Which components? (Read 351 times) previous topic - next topic

Droox

Hi everyone, I am a new user and also an Arduino beginner.
I have to implement a project where I can use my smartphone to unlock the office door without using my badge.
My idea was to use an Arduino as a "bridge" between an NFC and an RFID component. The smartphone would send via NFC the UID to my NFC reader. The code would then be sent to the RFID component that would send it to my door rfid base, acting as a badge.

So for this project, since I am a beginner, I have a few questions:
1) Is that possible to implement?
2) If yes, precisely which component do I need? I need to communicate them to my boss in order for him to buy them.
3) Follow up question: my smartphone ad the very beginning doesn't know my badge UID. How to "initialize" my android app to be aware of my UID?

Thanks.

MorganS

What did the office security people say when you told them this great idea?

I'll answer (3) first. Would you think it is reasonable to type your employee ID into the phone app?

What if you knew your boss's ID and put that in your phone instead of your own?

2) you need an Arduino and NFC reader at every door. You need a tamperproof box for each one. You need a power supply for each one. You need power wires. You need to run cables through the walls and door frames. You need access inside the existing RFID boxes. You need technical advice from the company which males those boxes. You need someone to write the app. You need an Arduino programmer who is not a beginner. You need a security consultant.

The one thing you don't need  is an RFID transmitter.

1) yes, but...
"The problem is in the code you didn't post."

Droox

Apr 08, 2019, 09:36 am Last Edit: Apr 08, 2019, 09:37 am by Droox
What did the office security people say when you told them this great idea?

I'll answer (3) first. Would you think it is reasonable to type your employee ID into the phone app?

What if you knew your boss's ID and put that in your phone instead of your own?

2) you need an Arduino and NFC reader at every door. You need a tamperproof box for each one. You need a power supply for each one. You need power wires. You need to run cables through the walls and door frames. You need access inside the existing RFID boxes. You need technical advice from the company which males those boxes. You need someone to write the app. You need an Arduino programmer who is not a beginner. You need a security consultant.

The one thing you don't need  is an RFID transmitter.

1) yes, but...
Hi, thanks for your response.
Since this is only a prototype and it is not used, at least at the beginning, in a real environment, I was asking just about the communication part.
The security is not a concern yet.
Conceptually, the transfer of the UID could be done using badge and app in combination in some ways, not necessarly by writing it by hand in the app.
None of the wires/power/box it's a problem, I just meant the actual NFC and RFID components.

Could you please me explain me in which way you would avoid using an RFID transmitter? How to transfer the signal to the RFID receiver outside the door?

Grumpy_Mike

1) Is that possible to implement?
Yes.

2) If yes, precisely which component do I need? I need to communicate them to my boss in order for him to buy them.
I can't tell you because this is not something you can make from off the shelf pre built modules. It has to be designed, and designed by someone with skill in RFID design, and someone who knows what sort of RFID system is on your building and someone with a licence to experiment with building RFID frequency transmitters.

3) Follow up question: my smartphone ad the very beginning doesn't know my badge UID. How to "initialize" my android app to be aware of my UID?
You ask your RFID security manager to tell you what your badge number is and what other fields if any of the RFID data storage they use in their system. Good luck with that.

Security should be a consideration even at the earliest design stage. Your proposed system will blow a hole in any security your building has enjoyed up until now.

neiklot

How can security not always be a consideration in a security system?

neiklot

MorganS

Find a different project.  Put the office coffee machine on the intranet so you can see how much coffee is in it without getting up from your desk.

Arduino Christmas lights.

Display some business information like number of open orders in big digits on the wall.

Search instructables for ideas. But don't use any code from there - the code quality there is universally terrible.
"The problem is in the code you didn't post."

neiklot

Put the office coffee machine on the intranet so you can see how much coffee is in it without getting up from your desk.
Which is apparently where Java got its name: that was its "Hello World".

raschemmel

Funny how the OP avoided answering this question even when asked a second time...

It is hardly a trivial question to be ignored...

That's a red flag if ever there was one...

Go Up