Go Down

Topic: Need to program attiny 85 using Arduino UNO (Read 497 times) previous topic - next topic

Tomasso2018-2019

Developed sketch on Arduino UNO with IDE 1.8.9. ; Windows 10.   Need to program into an attiny85.
No success with an of the online procedures for adding the attiny to the board manager library.  They do not appear in the list as described.

Is there an inherent IDE problem; or is my firewall blocking?  Going to the various maintainers' sites with the listed URL, I can see their code; the links just don't appear in the library.

Is there a bona fide Arduino tutorial available on this subject?  I don't see a description of actually how the sketch compiles and is then downloaded to the target attiny.

Much appreciate any help.

ballscrewbob

The ONLINE IDE does not yet support the ATTINY.

You would have to use the regular IDE.
Install the boards package of your choice.
Do an initial BURN BOOTLOADER (just sets fuses on ATTINY)
Then send the sketch to the ATTINY.

There are  lots and lots of tutorials on the web as to how to do this so I will leave that aspect up to you and lett google be your friend.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Tomasso2018-2019

I am using the downloaded IDE, latest version 1.8.9.  Are you suggesting to go back to some previous version?

Also, my target application requires the micro to execute immediately (as quickly as possible) upon power up.  I would want to not have it go through a bootloader on the target.  I think this is possible; correct?

CrossRoads

Apr 09, 2019, 06:02 pm Last Edit: Apr 09, 2019, 06:03 pm by CrossRoads
I believe you an add this info to the IDE to add Attiny support
https://github.com/SpenceKonde/ATTinyCore

You will need a Programmer (or an Arduino programmed to act like one) to download your sketch and not use a bootloader (if the Attiny 85 even supports a bootloader).
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

ballscrewbob

Repeated for CLARITY "Do an initial BURN BOOTLOADER (just sets fuses on ATTINY)"

There are proper bootloaders for ATTINY but I tend not to use them as they slow down the startup.

Once again let GOOGLE BE YOUR FRIEND !

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Tomasso2018-2019

Thanks for your guidance. It helped get me to understand the procedure better.  In particular, (and maybe this will help future new initiates like me) regarding the procedure steps:

1.  File > Preferences:   Ensure complete deletion of the contents of the "Additional Boards Manager URLs prior to pasting in the (selected) copied URL.

2.  Tools > Board > Boards Manager > selected program..:     My problem was that to select the newly downloaded program (since I did not initially see the ATtiny listed under Boards Manager and I did not think of the ATtiny85 "chip" as a "board"), I incorrectly was trying to find it under the similarly looking Manage Libraries > Library Manager listing.  Got to use Board > Boards Manager...!

Took some time and effort, but good learning experience.

Next question is which URL selected program works best for ATtiny85:  SpenceKonde or damellis?

DrAzzy

My core (SpenceKonde) is far more advanced at this point than the damellis core. Among key differences:

My core supports more clock options.
Tone() is a little better (hardware output compare is used, allowing super high output frequencies)
Included Servo.h works with attiny85.
Included Wire.h library works and acts just like the normal version you'd use on an Uno, so you don't need a special "attiny" version of wire and can use unmodified libraries for I2C devices, instead of ones modified to use a special version of wire.
Included SPI.h library does the same thing as the Wire library.
Included software serial (named Serial) on parts that don't have hardware serial (like the '85), this has all the limits of SoftwareSerial, except that it uses the ACO interrupt, leaving the more useful PCINTs available for general use. See the core documentation for details.
Menu option to clock Timer1 off the PLL (on t25/45/85 and 261/461/861, the chips that have this), if you need insanely high frequency PWM or Tone; Tone() implementation is aware of this.

Support for optiboot bootloader - each part with bootloader support has two entries in the menu, one with bootloader, one without. These let you program it over serial (like a normal arduino) using a serial adapter, instead of an ISP programmer. On the parts without hardware serial, this is on the same pins as the above mentioned builtin software serial (so you can use serial monitor like it was a normal arduino)

Also, damellis core only supports the 44/84/45/85/2313/4313. Mine supports basically every classical AVR attiny (ie, not the recently released ones with totally different peripherals) with more than 1k of flash; some of these are incredibly cool parts). 

ATTinyCore for x4/x5/x61/x7/x8/x41/1634/828/x313 megaTinyCore for the megaavr ATtinies - Board Manager:
http://drazzy.com/package_drazzy.com_index.json
ATtiny breakouts, mosfets, awesome prototyping board in my store http://tindie.com/stores/DrAzzy

Go Up