Go Down

Topic: Burning Bootloader on a Arduino UNO with another Arduino UNO (Read 125 times) previous topic - next topic

bastelbrothers

Nov 28, 2020, 01:03 pm Last Edit: Nov 28, 2020, 01:05 pm by bastelbrothers
Hello guys,

I am a kind of newbie and I am in a dead end with my problem: I try to burn the bootloader on a Arduino UNO with the ATMEGA 328P with another Ardunio UNO in the same configuration (But as a replica from Elegoo). But it does not work. Here is the error message:

***failed; 
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000
         0x0f != 0x3f
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

Anyone a guess what I am doing wrong?

Some background information:
How am I doing it?
I followed the instructions form this offical link:
https://support.arduino.cc/hc/en-us/articles/360012048080-How-to-burn-the-bootloader-between-two-Arduino-UNO
I made an additional step which is not descriped in the instruction: I choosed "Arduino as ISP" as programmer.

What is it doing?
I have the LEDs connected to check what the Ardunio is doing. The Heartbeat-LED is breathing constantly and when I burn the bootloader first the Error-LED flashes once and then the Programming-LED flashes once.

Why am I doing it?
I wanted to get a new script on the "target ardunio", but that did not work. The error message was something like:

0x0f != 0x3f

Beside that the old script worked just fine.
So the internet adviced me to reburn the bootloader. I followed the above mentioned instruction and now, if I try to get a new script on the Ardunio I get the following error message after a long time of "uploading":

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x56

The old script does not work anymore.

Thank you in advance for helpful advices. I have reached the end of my wisdom.

kprims

Any chance you are using an older avrdude?
Is it failing while verifying Lock bits? 
Use the command from an updated Arduino IDE like 1.8.13.
In Linux the avrdude you download  lags behind the avrdude you get with the Arduino IDE.

david_2018

Have you tried connecting a 10uF capacitor between the RESET pin and GROUND on the UNO being used as the programmer?  Without the capacitor, the programmer board may reset during the programming cycle.

bastelbrothers

Any chance you are using an older avrdude?
Is it failing while verifying Lock bits?
Use the command from an updated Arduino IDE like 1.8.13.
In Linux the avrdude you download  lags behind the avrdude you get with the Arduino IDE.
Thank you for the tip.
I use the actual IDE 1.8.13 which is provided in the Windows Store.
Unfortunately, I do not know exactly when it falis. Is there any possibility to get a better error message than:
 ***failed; 
         0x0f != 0x3f
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch
?

bastelbrothers

Have you tried connecting a 10uF capacitor between the RESET pin and GROUND on the UNO being used as the programmer?  Without the capacitor, the programmer board may reset during the programming cycle.
Thank you for this info. I have put a 10µF capacitor between RESET and GROUND of the programmer UNO, but the result is still the same error message.
Any other guesses?

kprims

I use the actual IDE 1.8.13 which is provided in the Windows Store.
You may want to try the download from the Arduino site. Some people have had problems with the Windows Store.

Is there any possibility to get a better error message than:
File->Preferences->Show verbose output during:. Tick box for  upload.J

Go Up