Go Down

Topic: Can't upload with Midi In connected (Read 275 times) previous topic - next topic

mgamache

I've successfully added a Midi Out to my Elegoo Uno R3, but when I add the MIDI input using the following schematic it kills my sketch uploading. I can't upload anything. I get a
not in sync: resp=0x00
error. The problem seems to be related to my Rx Pin (0) being connected to 5V using a 220 ohm resistor. If I disconnect that resistor the uploading works. Is this related to using a Elegoo R3 board and not a genuine Arduino? I've used these in the past and have had zero issues.

slipstick

Not really, it's related to you having the MIDI circuit connected to pin 0 which is needed for uploads. Disconnecting it is the only thing that is guaranteed to work (unless you use Software Serial and move the MIDI circuit onto different pins, and that has other potential problems).

Steve

mgamache

Jan 10, 2020, 11:56 pm Last Edit: Jan 11, 2020, 12:42 am by mgamache
Thanks, I thought that might be the case, but I don't see anyone talking about that as an issue when building arduino midi out devices. Would I use the software serial to run the midi? What are the potential issues?  Too slow? Is there a recommended board for Midi Development? Teensy? Adafruit Trinket M0? ESP32? I'll need a 5v logic converter, right?

Grumpy_Mike

but I don't see anyone talking about that as an issue when building arduino midi out device
It is one of those things I covered years ago
http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Hardware/MIDI_Shield.html

mgamache

right, I see that you included a switch. I thought about that, nice to know it's an option.

Go Up