Go Down

Topic: Fuel Sensor (Read 740 times) previous topic - next topic

gasper

Hello Ardunites,

I am a newbie using Arduino...

Is there any sensor that can determine the level of FUEL/PETROL in a filling station tank.

Regards.

edgemoron

Is the tank above or below ground? If above ground you could measure the head pressure at the bottom of the tank and calculate level, below ground is another thing, especially with gasoline (petrol).

wvmarle

Yes.
But no specific suggestions for lack of detailed information.
Tank size; available access to tank; material of tank; required accuracy for starters.
Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

gasper

It is below ground

Which sensor will I use to take in inputs?

edgemoron

Remember petrol vapors and electric sparks can ruin your day! Without knowing specifics, I would be reluctant to advise.

gasper

Yea

Thanks for the tip

wvmarle

Pressure sensor submerged at the bottom of the fuel tank should work. As long as the sensor is gasoline resistant.

Or the good old pressure tube, where the pressure sensor can be kept outside the tank, only the tube goes in. No electrics in the tank this way.

If not too big a tank (max. range 3-5 meters) an ultrasound sensor at the top to measure distance to fuel level - make sure you have one that's rated spark-free and have the connections soldered and insulated properly.

In any case, especially as this is a filling station which sounds like a commercial operation to me, let a certified expert go over and approve your handiwork. Flammable fuels are not something to mess with.
Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

kenwood120s

Aug 28, 2017, 02:20 pm Last Edit: Aug 28, 2017, 02:21 pm by kenwood120s
Your insurers and the local fire department, not to mention your neighbours ;)  will probably want certification that everything's intrinsically safe or at least flashproof.

[gumby]I've got my head stuck in the cupboard[/gumby]

gasper

Yea sure.

We all understand the risk and taking necessary measurements.

Thanks for the Replies

Paul_KD7HB

Remember petrol vapors and electric sparks can ruin your day! Without knowing specifics, I would be reluctant to advise.
in the United States, the level is ALWAYS measured by the delivery truck driver using a calibrated wooden stick. No static electricity and no sparks and the tanks are ALWAYS under ground and double walled with containment devices for leaks.

Paul

stelio_langa

Hello @Gaspar have you found sensor to meter petrol level sensor, what are you have used, i have same interrested for you.

Thank you
Stelio langa

Go Up