Go Down

Topic: Sensor to detect paper in printer output tray? (Read 236 times) previous topic - next topic

pe2950

I'm working on a project where i need to detect if paper is waiting in the output tray of a printer.

The printer luckily output tray is a dark blue, with the paper being white; would something like this get the job done?

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2349

I know there are multiple ways to do this; is there anything that would be more reliable then this?

Any way to know HOW many papers are sitting in the tray?

The printer: https://www.google.com/search?q=xerox+3320&rlz=1C1GCEU_enUS821US821&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwigqfOCktLhAhUMj1kKHboJCHoQ_AUIDigB&biw=1920&bih=937

pylon

The printer luckily output tray is a dark blue, with the paper being white; would something like this get the job done?
Try it. You didn't specify how reliable that service must be. If you must detect the paper, use a light barrier but that's invasive to the printer.

I would try a very sensitive scale.

wildbill

Presumably the printer knows when it is out of paper. Can you tap into that?

wvmarle

The sensor you link to is a simple proximity sensor.

A break beam sensor would probably work more reliably.

Detecting the number of sheets in the tray is pretty hard as the sheets are so thin and light, and thickness and weight are unstable. So stack thickness and stack weight are out.
Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

dougp

Maybe something like this.

Won't that be somewhat dependent on paper thickness/weight?
Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real.  If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. - Niels Bohr

No private consultations undertaken!

MorganS

Put a beam-break sensor on the printer output to count pages. Add a button to push and zero the count when you remove the pages from the hopper.
"The problem is in the code you didn't post."

Go Up