Go Down

Topic: ATMEL Mega1284P evaluation board avalible (Read 181326 times) previous topic - next topic

mowcius

When in the control panel you sometimes have to right click on it and tell it to 'use' that library you've just created.

CrossRoads

That's what I did.  I can see that library, I can see the part if I open the library from the control panel, but not if I Use the library within the schematic editor.
Going thru the instructrable again this morning, I realise I am not quite  finished - I only created the footprint so far, I need to tie it to an electronic symbol.

I was so relieved at appearing to have figuted it out mechanically, while at the same time getting the board routing to be what I think is finally done:
> no more overlapping traces - I had 2 vias right in the  middle of SMD pads, and not the same signal, and in a very dense area too
> no crazy autorouted traces added in parallel, created by eagle when I autorouted to get the ground planes filled in. These seemed to be caused by my manual traces having one or two too many vias, so I found ways to minimize the jumps between layers.
> all the clearance  errors fixed, so now everything is 5mil or more from everything else
> all the drill size errors fixed, seemed to mostly exist when a signal did something more than just change layers - like power & ground going to more than 1 place, or being a wider trace coming in than going out
> and finally all the text placement cleaned up, so now all Reference Designators can be read clearly;

that I forgot I hadn't done anything electrically with the new part!  So, time to make a simple schematic symbol & see if I can Really finish my first symbol.

Then add it to the board, and also add in the A0, A1, D0, D1, etc type names by the pins.

I also saw Skyjumpers bare board Friday night and the size of the typical 0805 components used (on a Duemilanove anyway), that I was thinking I could solder manually;  now I'm thinking the maybe not so much! And the reflow oven he has been working up is starting to look like a better idea!

His 1284P based board is also nice in that it is setup to have USB, RS232 via the 1284's internal UARTS, 4 RS485 channels via NewSoftSerial with screw terminals, reading of 3 external signals with screw terminals, 3 open collector drivers (ULN2803) with screw terminals to pull external signals low, in addition to the SD card and the standard shield support.
I changed mine to be more developmentally based with a DIP part, RS232 driver but not not a connector, I/O on a header socket vs screw terminals, both SD & Micro SD sockets, and added RTC, in a slightly smaller board since there are no screw terminals, with some jumper fields to be allow user changes, and the JTAG & ISCP headers, where he's/got a specific project in mind so we ditched JTAG and just pick up ICSP from the shield pins if needed - If you have a project that needs similar multiple serial I/O and other digital I/O then Skyjumper's board could be the ticket for you (plugging for you man!) with the screw terminals supporting a final project nicely.

I was just thinking, the footprint supports the 164P, 324P, 644P,1284P, only difference is the memory size (and ATMega chip price), so maybe a few models could be offered.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

CrossRoads

Finished the FCI Symbol last night, getting it tied to an electrical symbol! Got it on the board, is deeper than the sparkfun part and took me a while to get the traces re-routed for it.
Skyjumper made me a set of Gerbers using the sparkfun CAM, made me realize my Reference Designators need cleaning up still (didn't look as good as I thought they were), and I hadn't put the shield  headers labels back on, so a little more work tonight for that ...
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

mnmis

Question, Does anyone have any information on programming this board that you are designing?

Mnmis

CrossRoads

Sure, can be programmed via ICSP, or via bitbang from FTDI to get a bootloader in, and then via USB for normal sketch after that.
Skyjumper has  a lot of that worked out using the hacked Uno (see 'hacking the uno' where I modified an Uno to use a 644/1284 type chip, which was the prototype for the board above, and adapted to a more developmental type board for my use).
I aim to use this thing for something (no specific project in mind yet) so we'll have a way to program it for sure.

tastewar

That board (skyjumper's?) has a teaser domain name on it. No web server, no MX record. Hmm...

Anyway, CrossRoads, what are your ultimate plans for this board? Do you intend to:

• make the plans available for download

• sell bare boards

• sell kits (bare boards + parts)

• sell complete boards

or some combination?

bubulindo

I'd be up to get one... preferably already built.
This... is a hobby.

oscarBravo

I might be missing something very obvious, but it doesn't look like the pin headers on either side of the board line up properly to allow shields to be mounted.

tastewar

I might be missing something very obvious, but it doesn't look like the pin headers on either side of the board line up properly to allow shields to be mounted.

Just to clarify, are you referring to the board photos recently posted, or CrossRoads' diagrams? I wondered the same thing looking at the photos...

oscarBravo

I'm referring to CrossRoads' layer plots. The pin headers seem to line up just fine in the photos.

CrossRoads

Shield footprints - They should line up - I started with the duemilanove footprint and never touched the shield  headers - only enlarged the board around them. The perspective might look off due to the board being longer & wider.

Website - Yeah, Skyjumper might be a little ahead of the game - or I am in posting that. But it does look sharp!

Selling - I think I'd be up for selling bare boards and/or kits from a pick list - you get all this with every kit (a,b,c), pick from the following: 1 of w or x, 1 of y or z. I don't know about completed boards, I don't have time to line up an assembly house, nor time to assemble them myself. Maybe just have the FTDI chip soldered, folks can hand solder the rest depending on what they want to implement.  I think build at least a couple and make sure every thing works as expected.

Got the labeling cleaned up last night, will create gerbers tonight & review, then I think its time to place an order and buy some parts!

oscarBravo

Shield footprints - They should line up - I started with the duemilanove footprint and never touched the shield  headers - only enlarged the board around them. The perspective might look off due to the board being longer & wider.
Here's what I'm talking about:

On the Arduino on the desk in front of me, those pin headers line up. Again, maybe I'm missing something obvious.

retrolefty

Jun 02, 2011, 01:50 am Last Edit: Jun 02, 2011, 01:53 am by retrolefty Reason: 1
Here's what I'm talking about:

I think that is still correct, he just added two more analog input pins onto the normal 6 pin analog shield connector, making it a a 8 pin connector. Normal shields will still mate up. I think that is how the mega board does it also.

Lefty

CrossRoads

Correct, A6 & A7 added to the analog header.

CrossRoads

Okay, I think this is the final pass:

Go Up