Go Down

Topic: Underwater Motion Sensing using Ultrasonic Sensors (Read 483 times) previous topic - next topic

Yash16

Hello,
I am currently developing a project which involves detecting a human underwater. I am doing this using ultrasonic sensors and Arduino Uno as the board. But the sensor I am using is not giving me great results. Can anyone suggest and underwater ultrasonic sensors or any other approach by which i can detect underwater humans at a low cost.

Thank you.

Robin2

The speed of sound is very different through water - have you allowed for that?

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Yash16

Yes i had taken the speed of sound in water into account. But the sensor doesn't seem to work underwater. Can you suggest a good underwater ultrasonic sensor with wide detection range?

Robin2

But the sensor doesn't seem to work underwater.
That is very very different from the statement in your Original Post "the sensor I am using is not giving me great results"

And, sorry, I have no knowledge of underwater sensors.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

AWOL

The speed of sound is very different through water
...as is the density of the medium.

AWOL

Hello,
I am currently developing a project which involves detecting a human underwater.
Look for bubbles.

dougp

Can anyone suggest and underwater ultrasonic sensors or any other approach by which i can detect underwater humans at a low cost.
Are the underwater humans trying to avoid detection?  Are they even alive?  Could they carry flashlights?  What distance?

I bet a fish finder would work.
Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real.  If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. - Niels Bohr

No private consultations undertaken!

NoraTheDoggo

The standard ultrasonic senor has to be out of the water to work such as in a water proof case. The sound will reflect off of the case or possible surface of the water. Also, I have found the sound is attenuated of muffled clothing and the sensor reads 0. Assuming it travels through water this is something to think about.

I would suggest a laser beam/light senor. However, standard red lasers are reflected by water. Maybe you can be a little more specific on the purpose of this.
I like cooking children and Arduinos
Is not the same as: I like cooking, children, and Arduinos
Grammar matters!

OhLookAtTheFlowers

Jul 20, 2019, 07:29 pm Last Edit: Jul 20, 2019, 07:30 pm by OhLookAtTheFlowers
I'm not clear what you have done or want to do but you need to avoid any air-water interfaces or you will get zero signal back. This means your transducer needs to be either submerged in water or, possibly, in an electronics-safe gel of some sort to provide acoustic coupling. Maybe a conformal coating would work but I will leave that for you to play with. 

Go Up