Go Down

Topic: Same COM port many times (Read 11206 times) previous topic - next topic

MikD

Being the OP I can confirm that I also see the problem with IDE 1.8.10. But a lot less frequent than in April. However, since then I have cleared out my pile of COM port declarations that were in the 80'ies. So that the number of COM ports declarations may play a role is probably true.

pert

Hi @MikD. By "the problem", do you only mean the duplicate entries in the Tools > Port menu, or are you also still having upload problems in Arduino IDE 1.8.10?

Is this only happening with the Zero?

ballscrewbob

It would be unusual to see 80 ghost COM ports for one particular board.

Were they all for the Zero or were other boards also involved ?

I did have a minor theory about different types of boards that would leap frog each other when they had 2 known ports such as the common COM and the bootloader COM
Where the next board used a different boards bootloader port which would make the original board when connected move one of its ports up in number.

But
It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

MikD

Yes, I meant "duplicated entries" persists in IDE 1.8.10.

The >80 COM ports in use is not for the same device. From time to time my PC is used for configuration of many devices not Arduino related. I may have misunderstood the issue "become unstable after COM 30."

It might also be that I am more aware of the problem now and unconsciously avoid falling in to the trap of connecting/removing/re-connecting/closing/... the serial monitor. In all honesty I can't say.

ballscrewbob

Duplicated and unused COM ports does not always have to be an Arduino as you correctly say and observe.
It can on occasion manifest with other devices.

Here I don't really see that aspect but waaaay into the past some older cell phones and GPS devices that used USB as a COM enumeration could also do it.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

pert

Yes, I meant "duplicated entries" persists in IDE 1.8.10.
OK, that is expected. Only the upload failure part of the issue was fixed in Arduino IDE 1.8.10. The duplicate menu entries bug is fixed in the beta build of the Arduino IDE, but that fix has not yet been merged into the production IDE.

ATuinhek

I have the exact same port duplication problem with my Uno on a windows 10 machine running IDE version 1.8.10. If I reboot the entire machine I can connect the board once and upload sketches. Every time I disconnect and reconnect the board it adds a duplicate port and uploading fails with an 'acces denied' error.

Go Up