Capacitor identification

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could identify what looks like a film capacitor, from a small electric motor, with markings V270 A3 (I'm not sure about the "A" bit).
I've attached a photo of it.
Cheers.

AC motor or DC motor?

Paul

A useful page I recently was recommended by a friend...

https://svetvtebe.ru/en/marking-of-capacitor-electrolytes-marking-of-smd-capacitors/

Paul_KD7HB:
AC motor or DC motor?

Paul

DC 14v

MorganS:
A useful page I recently was recommended by a friend...

https://svetvtebe.ru/en/marking-of-capacitor-electrolytes-marking-of-smd-capacitors/

Useful indeed, but that seems mostly about smd components.

Perhaps this is your part........ V270

JohnRob:

Thanks, that could very well be it.
Would its failure prevent the motor from running, and could the motor be tested without it?

I guess it was used instead of a flyback diode, to suppress transients when the motor is switched off. Advantage over a diode is that it would work in both directions.

It seems to me you can test the motor safely by just connecting it to an appropriate power supply directly. Make sure your power supply can handle the current the motor needs. A regular brushed DC motor doesn't need any extra parts to work.

thom01:
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could identify what looks like a film capacitor, from a small electric motor, with markings V270 A3 (I'm not sure about the "A" bit).
I've attached a photo of it.
Cheers.

Certainly doesn't look like a film capacitor as those don't come in plate varieties.

JohnRob:

A MOV - "V270" - 27 V, with a grey encapsulation. Yep, that would definitely be it. The "A3" is the joule rating (category).

01.png

MarkT:
Certainly doesn't look like a film capacitor as those don't come in plate varieties.

While not a perfect match, also not that far off (this are film capacitors):

A MOV fails "OPEN", so that would have no bearing on your motor operation. The motor brushes are probably bad.

Paul

I wouldn't assume it would fail shorted.

Is the device still in the circuit? If not can you measure its resistance?

If the V270 measures high resistance it's probably OK an would likely not result in the motor not starting.

Without more information, I would expect this device is protecting some switching element. If operated with out this device the switching element could eventually be damaged (causing it not to start).

Thanks to all for your replies.
I tested the motor without the V270 and it was unresponsive, so I opened it and the brushes are in pieces, so the motor itself will have to be replaced.
I'll keep the varistor, if that's what it is, for the new one.

Brushes are consummables, you'll be able to find some sort of replacement given the dimensions probably.

But the question then is - why are the brushes in pieces, unless they are already completely worn down?

Could be other problems.

Well nothing an armature check wouldn't uncover.

Commutator?