Go Down

Topic: Transistor Use issue (Read 758 times) previous topic - next topic

HellasT

May 06, 2019, 03:50 pm Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 03:52 pm by HellasT
Thanks, so yeah, I meant that I used the pin with the ~ line (6) and also, I connected it the way you told me, (collector to one side of the motor, emitter to ground, and other side of motor to positive on the battery).

It still doesn't do anything. I'm not sure then if it might be the transistor that is malfunctioning. For the schematics, I don't know how to draw schematics on here.

Btw, I've copied exact circuits from others explaining it, but it still doesn't work.
What is the type and part number of your transistor?

Can you please post a copy of your circuit, in CAD or a picture of a hand drawn circuit in jpg, png?

I think this is how you should connect your motor.

Tom.. :)
Make sure you do not forget to use a 1n4001 diode (Flyback) connected as shown in the diagram of the earlyer post (D1) otherwise your transistor will die very quickly from the voltage created by the motors coils when turning off.

Also a 10K base resistor will not turn on the transistor. a 1K or a little lower is a good choice.
Every new day we wake up, is a gift from god. Enjoy it, don't waste it and never forget to thank him for that.

MarkT

150 or 220 ohm base resistor, don't bother with 1k.  You want as much base current as the Arduino pin can safely produce - transistors as switches need a base current that's 5 to 10% of the load current.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

HellasT

May 08, 2019, 11:01 am Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 11:06 am by HellasT
150 or 220 ohm base resistor, don't bother with 1k.  You want as much base current as the Arduino pin can safely produce - transistors as switches need a base current that's 5 to 10% of the load current.
A 220 Ohm resistor is needed when lower HFE transistors are used. Dont get me wrong, it will work but why push the arduino output to the limit ?
On the other hand most diagrams recommend a 1K base resistor. 1k base resistor will work just fine on high HFE transistors such as the BC337 or the 2N2222. Darlington transistors are also good choice.
You can always measure the Base-Emitter, Base-Collector and Collector-emitter voltages to verify that the transistor is fully on and fully off. You want to use the transistor in saturation mode and in cutoff mode, not in the active region in between.

Every new day we wake up, is a gift from god. Enjoy it, don't waste it and never forget to thank him for that.

Paul__B

A 220 Ohm resistor is needed when lower HFE transistors are used. Don't get me wrong, it will work but why push the Arduino output to the limit ?
What limit?  4.35 V over 220 Ohm is 20 mA, a common current used to illuminate LEDs brightly.  Nowhere near the absolute maximum rating which I do not even mean to cite - since doing so tends to lead foolish people to fantasise that is an acceptable target to use.  :smiley-eek:

On the other hand most diagrams recommend a 1K base resistor. 1k base resistor will work just fine on high HFE transistors such as the BC337 or the 2N2222. Darlington transistors are also good choice.
So you didn't read MarkT's explanation?

(I have to chuckle here.  "most diagrams" - on "Instructables" perchance?  :smiley-roll: )

You can always measure the Base-Emitter, Base-Collector and Collector-emitter voltages to verify that the transistor is fully on and fully off. You want to use the transistor in saturation mode and in cutoff mode, not in the active region in between.
Oh, so you do have some knowledge about "saturation mode" in which Hfe is irrelevant, so why do you talk about "high HFE transistors"?  Mark has explained that you need at least 5% of the collector current, that is, a gain of 20 at best for saturation.

So your 1k resistor feeding 4.35 mA to the transistor base can hold it in saturation for no more than 87 mA.

BabyGeezer

So your 1k resistor feeding 4.35 mA to the transistor base can hold it in saturation for no more than 87 mA.

if for example we wanted to 'limit' the ICE, might using a "high(ish)" resistor be the way to go ?

let's say we wanted to "hold back" the motor from going full blast - or would that be better acheived by using a lower PWM duty cycle and not use the transistor in the 'active region' unnecessarily.
Attach your images to be viewed directly - THIS WAY;
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=519037.0

pwillard

I'm noticing that the OP has not spoken since entry #3... so there is a lot of speculation here.

Paul__B

if for example we wanted to 'limit' the ICE, might using a "high(ish)" resistor be the way to go ?
Yes, it might be a way to limit the collector current.  :smiley-roll:

Once the transistor comes out of saturation, as MarkT explains, the collector voltage rises to something above the base voltage, about 0.7 V, so the power dissipation of the transistor is 0.7 times the collector current.  For a BC337 without heatsink, this is 625 mW so you are strictly limited to less than one Amp.  For a 2N2222 it is 500 mW and 670 mA and in any case you were limited to 800 mA.

But since the Hfe is quite variable, limiting collector current by fixing base current is a bad idea in the first place.  :smiley-eek:

ReverseEMF

May 11, 2019, 07:05 pm Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 07:06 pm by ReverseEMF

let's say we wanted to "hold back" the motor from going full blast - or would that be better acheived by using a lower PWM duty cycle and not use the transistor in the 'active region' unnecessarily.
In most cases, when using a transistor for switching [whether a BiPolar, or a MOSFET, BTW], the goal is to keep the transistor in saturation, and out of the active region -- or, right on the edge of the active region & saturation, for faster switching.  Most switching bi-polar transistor datasheets recommend biasing the transistor at a ß of, typically, 10 [though I've seen slightly higher, such as 15 or 20].  The point of that is to drive the Collector-Emitter voltage down, and achieve a trade off between drive current and low power dissipation.

Using the transistor active region to regulate power, is called a "Class-A" configuration -- and in some cases is a viable solution.  But, it's the most inefficient way to do it, and only makes sense in low-power applications, or where very low distortion [i.e. linear transfer] & low noise are design goals [or a cheap and dirty design].  More often, especially when anything more than, say, a 1/2 watt, or so, of power is involved, PWM is the way to go.  And, usually, a MOSFET does a better job.
"It's a big galaxy, Mr. Scott"

Please DON'T Private Message to me, what should be part of the Public Conversation -- especially if it's to correct a mistake, or contradict a statement!  Let it ALL hang out!!

MarkT

May 12, 2019, 04:14 am Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 04:14 am by MarkT
A 220 Ohm resistor is needed when lower HFE transistors are used. Dont get me wrong, it will work but why push the arduino output to the limit ?
No, sorry, that's a myth.  Hfe is irrelevant to saturation.  In saturation the base-collector junction is forward biased and there is _no_ conventional transistor action, just carrier diffusion from emitter to collector due to the carrier concentration gradient.  Emitters are doped about 100 times more strongly than bases and bases about 100 times more than collectors, leading to a large concentration gradient which drives the action, not an electric field.

I suggest you go read a few datasheets on switching transistors which quote all the Vsat and related
values and graphs with "Ib = 0.1 Ic" or "Ib = 0.05 Ic"

If you set Ib = 5mA and try to switch 500mA, the Vce will rise to 1.5V or more, not the 0.1--0.2V of saturation.
That's 750mW dissipation compared to <100mW, ie scorching hot transistor v. cool transistor.  To get high gain
the collector base junction has to be able to accelerate charge carriers clear of the base efficiently, which means the
collector has to be more positive than the base (for NPN).  For efficiency in switching large currents the collector voltage has
to drop close to the emitter voltage.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

HellasT

May 26, 2019, 08:54 pm Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 08:59 pm by HellasT
What limit?  4.35 V over 220 Ohm is 20 mA, a common current used to illuminate LEDs brightly.  Nowhere near the absolute maximum rating which I do not even mean to cite - since doing so tends to lead foolish people to fantasise that is an acceptable target to use.  :smiley-eek:
So you didn't read MarkT's explanation?

(I have to chuckle here.  "most diagrams" - on "Instructables" perchance?  :smiley-roll: )
Oh, so you do have some knowledge about "saturation mode" in which Hfe is irrelevant, so why do you talk about "high HFE transistors"?  Mark has explained that you need at least 5% of the collector current, that is, a gain of 20 at best for saturation.

I do not understand the attitude. Did i offend you in some way?
You are pointing out my mistake and thank you for that but for real why this attitude?

P.S.
you are also right about the fact that 20ma is perfectly ok from the arduino output. I forgot because i am used to working with other MCU's that can not handle that much.

No, sorry, that's a myth.  Hfe is irrelevant to saturation.  In saturation the base-collector junction is forward biased and there is _no_ conventional transistor action, just carrier diffusion from emitter to collector due to the carrier concentration gradient.  Emitters are doped about 100 times more strongly than bases and bases about 100 times more than collectors, leading to a large concentration gradient which drives the action, not an electric field.
I suggest you go read a few datasheets on switching transistors which quote all the Vsat and related
values and graphs with "Ib = 0.1 Ic" or "Ib = 0.05 Ic"
Agreed. I will dig into it. Thank you.

Paul__B

Reading "attitude" into forum postings is dangerous indeed.  If you say something inappropriate, it will be challenged, not merely for your benefit, but for the presumed benefit of others who may stumble across the given thread in their own search.

A teaching principle which was emphasised in the lectures I attended on the weekend is to require the "student" to think in detail about the consequences of their suppositions.

This discussion has had a number of contributors; some people with good ideas, some who do not understand the matter of bipolar transistor behaviour.  MarkT generally comes in to explain it; I may get in earlier - we are obviously in different time zones, there is a bit of "to and fro" here, I am most unlikely to repeat something he has comprehensively explained.

Southpark

May 28, 2019, 12:21 pm Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 01:16 pm by Southpark
O.P. has gone maybe. What sort of transistor? Mosfet? Logic level?

Smajdalf

May 29, 2019, 08:04 pm Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 08:08 pm by Smajdalf
I am on HellasT's side:
20mA may be perfectly safe for a single pin but it is not the only limit. The whole ATMega has absolute maximum rating 200mA and there are the strange limits of total current for groups of pins. Also sourcing/sinking unnecessary current may cause voltage droop of ATMega's power rails which may affect i.e. ADC precision. Not speaking about efficiency.

For reference let's look into a datasheet of NPN BC337 already mentioned in this discussion (link in post #21). There is "Saturation Region" figure:

You can get more information about the saturation characteristics from it. For example for 100mA collector current the V_CE is quickly decreasing with increasing base current until about 2mA (Ic/Ib = 50). For higher base current the V_CE is decreasing only slightly - probably not worth the increased base current and surely nothing that will cause a "scorching hot transistor". For higher collector current it is a bit worse - you need about 20mA base current for 500mA collector current - still gain of 25. And those numbers are probably for the "poorest" -16 selection. The "better" -25 and -40 selections should have better results according the Nexperia's more detailed datasheet. If interested, study Figures 10-12 closely.

I believe the Ic/Ib = 10 value is for historical reasons - transistor is considered "in saturation" when Ic/Ib = 10. But this does not mean you MUST use this ratio to get optimal results. Old transistors probably really needed such high base current. But as you can see it is not absolutely necessary with "modern" transistors, exactly as HallasT have said.
Also note the numbers are @25°C. Since too low base current -> hot transistor -> better gain -> lesser base current needed, the temperature rise is self-limiting for reasonably low base currents.

Since theory and comparing numbers from datasheets may be misleading I did a quick and dirty real life test. I connected the collector of a BC337-40 to a constant current source of 126mA, varied the base current and measured V_CE. There are results:
Ib -> V_CE
12 mA -> 60mV
3.6 mA -> 80mV
1 mA -> 140mV
0.4mA -> more than 1 V (limited not to damage the transistor)
You see that at 1mA base current, less 1% of collector current, the voltage drop is still reasonable - but you cannot go much lower.
How to insert images: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=519037.0

HellasT

20mA may be perfectly safe for a single pin but it is not the only limit. The whole ATMega has absolute maximum rating 200mA and there are the strange limits of total current for groups of pins.
Good point. If one wants to use 10 more outputs then there may be a problem. If not then it should be fine.

Go Up