Noises for Electric Vehicles - Circuit Bending? :D

Why do they seem to think this is necessary? Can't people just learn to look for vehicles and the point about blind people, their dogs are trained to listen out for cars - we have plenty of technology in this world that could detect the presence of cars if the dog can't see it.

On another note, who fancies circuit bending some cars :smiley:
I do wonder what legislation they might bring in - some people will have really stupid noises if it's a bit slack (and I'd turn any off completely if I could).
Can you imagine police pulling people over becuase their car is making the wrong noise? It's not as if they'd have put on an illegal exhaust or anything :wink:

Think about your cell phone. Think about ring tones. Think about the marketplace for ring tones...

There is a ton of money to be made here (well, in the short run).

Then there's all the third-party add-ons (more powerful speakers/transducers or whatnot - most of that is covered by the car audio industry already, though).

I can't wait - I'm sure more than one person will have some awful annoying car "engine" sound - I predict one of the first will be the Jetson's capsule vehicle sound. I imagine another would sound like a playing card in the spokes of a bicycle. Of course, you'll also have the favorite "blown V8" as well as some race car engine sounds. Probably more than a few that sounds like one long faaaaaaarrrrrrrttttt. Oh - of course - make your EV sound like a Harley (likely licensed). Perhaps a VW bug? F1 racecar? Diesel semi? Rocket?

If you wanted to prepare for the market, sampling and recording (professionally) these sounds would be a good place to start. Maybe talk up some of the ideas with respective rights-holders (such as for the Harley sound). Don't forget off-the-wall sounds (what about for braking, acceleration, etc?) - yes, your car can sound like an out of control elephant on a rampage!

Should be an interesting future (and a noisy annoying one, too)...bleh.

:slight_smile:

If it doesn't sound like a TIE fighter I'm sticking with petrol.

yes, your car can sound like an out of control elephant on a rampage!

Haha :smiley:

I think that the legislation will cover things like this but if not then yeah I'll be playing with unusual car sounds :wink:

I would like to have the chilling sound of a BLDC engine making 60K rpm when cutting some carbon fiber, amplify that to some 120dB and not one will get close to you.

what sounds at 120 dB don't scare people away?!

Techno, Drum & Bass, some disco musics would attract me lol

mowcius:
Why do they seem to think this is necessary?

That's not so difficult to answer, cars have been making noise for ages. Although eyes are the most important sensors people tend to rely on their ears more as most people realize. When all cars would be silent people would adapt pretty soon, but with just 1 on every 500+ cars I'd certainly would like some sound on my EV. Having handicapped 1 guy for life, which wasn't my fault, is something I rather not see repeated.

Hmmm, maybe something like this would work:
Still sounds like a car, but would distinguish it as an electric car, because I'm sure a lot of people who would buy an electric car would want to go around like "Look at me, I'm eco-friendly"
electric car sound

sorry, couldn't resist

Simpson_Jr:

mowcius:

That's not so difficult to answer, cars have been making noise for ages. Although eyes are the most important sensors people tend to rely on their ears more as most people realize. When all cars would be silent people would adapt pretty soon, but with just 1 on every 500+ cars I'd certainly would like some sound on my EV. Having handicapped 1 guy for life, which wasn't my fault, is something I rather not see repeated.

But if people don't listen at the moment and just walk across then they are likely to get hit by a bike.

sciguy:
Hmmm, maybe something like this would work:
Still sounds like a car, but would distinguish it as an electric car, because I'm sure a lot of people who would buy an electric car would want to go around like "Look at me, I'm eco-friendly"
electric car sound

sorry, couldn't resist

2004 called, they want their meme back

I'm kidding, I <3 Rickrolls

Just require that someone run ahead of them waving a red flag: it'll warn the pedestrians and help reduce unemployment.

mowcius:

Simpson_Jr:

mowcius:

But if people don't listen at the moment and just walk across then they are likely to get hit by a bike.

Yep, you're right, but hit by a bike, you don't lose 2 legs at age 16. The one that hit you also doesn't remember it 15 years later instead of still having the occasional nightmare of an extremely bloody mess....

mowcius:

In my experience bikes make a lot of noise if you step out in front of them. Usually quite offensive noise that I wouldn't want my mother to hear.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
I can already see people bragging "Mine's a 3.0 version, he accelerates from 0-60 in less then 4 seconds and runs the marathon in less then 20 minutes" :smiley:

Simpson_Jr:
Yep, you're right, but hit by a bike, you don't lose 2 legs at age 16. The one that hit you also doesn't remember it 15 years later instead of still having the occasional nightmare of an extremely bloody mess....

Sorry to bring up memories like that.

Well as long as I can have any noise I like with a certain noise level I'll be happy :slight_smile: (exluding siren noises presumably reserved for emergency services)

mowcius:
Sorry to bring up memories like that.

It's ok Mowcius.

mowcius:
Well as long as I can have any noise I like with a certain noise level I'll be happy :slight_smile: (exluding siren noises presumably reserved for emergency services)

Siren..., people making room, passing traffic jams quickly, that... part doesn't sound so bad :slight_smile: