Go Down

Topic: need some help with Nema17 stepper motor power supply (Read 135 times) previous topic - next topic

Nic0lodeon

Hey there,
so I bought some Nema 17 stepper motors. Because there seem to be a few variants of the configurations
of the nema17 here are my specifications :
rated voltage = 2.4V
rated current = 1.5A
resistance per phase 1.6 ohms
i bought some 12v- 4A AC/DC adapter. i read, that mostly everybody gives more voltage to the motors than rated. already tried it aswell with a 9V batteryblock and that worked.

I use an a4988 driver to control the given power and the logic to the motors. those drivers have an potentiometer on top i can regulate the current with that i think. i can give  them an input from 8 to 36 volts.

So my  plan is to power with one of those ACDC adapters two motors. Do i have to connect them in parallel?
because i dont have a multimeter to regulate the current exactly i just want to start with the screw completly on the left side and work my way up.

what would happen, if i give them too much current for to long?

I am also not sure if those given 1.5A rated current are per phaase or for the whole motor.

i hope you understand my questions and can give me some advice to not blow those motors up instantly

MarkT

So my  plan is to power with one of those ACDC adapters two motors. Do i have to connect them in parallel?
Yes, everything is in parallel from a voltage supply.
what would happen, if i give them too much current for to long?
They will overheat/cook.  Or even (in extremis) demagnetize (but the A4988 isn't big enough to give them that much current!).  You need a multimeter to set the current as per instructions.
I am also not sure if those given 1.5A rated current are per phaase or for the whole motor.
same thing.  1.5A is the amplitude of the 2-phase current phasor.  Datasheet will give more detail, but you don't have to know this to follow the instructions for setting the current (just a multimeter).

BTW your motors do not have a rated voltage, they are current-driven.  The key parameters are current,
resistance and inductance.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

Go Up