Go Down

Topic: Can you burn a bootloader on a previously bootloaded Atmega328P? (Read 333 times) previous topic - next topic

Coelhomatias

HI guys, so i need to use a minimal standalone arduino, just the chip. I tried using your tutorial, other tutorials and so many things and failed every time. I'm using a chip that i took out of a arduino uno board, so my question is, can you burn the 8Mhz bootloader on an Atmega328p-PU that had another bootloader previously burned into it?

dmjlambert

Yes you can install the bootloader as many times as you wish.   And you can change bootloaders.

Coelhomatias

How, i tried the "normal" way but allways with errors like "invalid device signature"?

dmjlambert

Well it depends on your definition of normal.   Invalid device signature could be caused by anything, actually programming a MCU that has a different signature, damaged MCU, incorrect wiring, or fuses are set such that a crystal is required but you don't have a crystal attached.   

pert

Please do this:
  • (In the Arduino IDE) File > Preferences
  • Check the checkbox next to "Show verbose output during: upload
  • Click "OK"
  • Tools > Burn Bootloader
  • After the Burn Bootloader process fails, you'll see a button on the right side of the orange bar "Copy error messages". Click that button.
  • In a forum reply here, click on the reply field.
  • Click the </> button on the forum toolbar. This will add the forum's code tags markup to your reply.
  • Press "Ctrl + V". This will paste the Burn Bootloader output between the code tags.
  • Move the cursor outside of the code tags before you add any additional text to your reply.

Go Up