Go Down

Topic: Dead slow IDE (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

remadsenjr

I recently had a problem on one Windows 10 machine with all versions of the Arduino IDE (including the newest, 1.8.12) being extremely slow to start up and, more importantly, extremely slow to save any source code file. I traced the problem to the "preferences.txt" file. Within that file, there was one section entitled, "recent-sketches". It included references to several dozen .ino files that I had worked on over the past 2 years. Some of these references were to files on my Western Digital network drive. A couple of weeks ago, I had to change the base IP address on my wireless router to eliminate a conflict with another piece of hardware on the same network. Unfortunately, the recent-sketches paragraph contained several explicit references to the old wireless router address, and that proved to be the cause of the terrible delays in starting the Arduino IDE and saving files. I solved this problem by deleting the entire recent-sketches paragraph, forcing the IDE to stop looking for files at the old WiFi address. NOTE: you must NOT be running the IDE when you delete the recent-sketches paragraph from the "preferences.txt" file. If the IDE is active, it will write the original content back to disk when you exit, eliminating all your edits. It would be good if the Arduino developers could add a diagnostic mode to the IDE that allows the user to see exactly what the IDE is trying to do behind the scenes, such as repeatedly trying to access a network drive using an old address. Even better, if while processing the recent-sketches paragraph it is determined that a referenced drive is not accessible, have the IDE ask the user if they want to REMOVE the references to that drive so the problem does not keep occurring, leaving people like me to spend 7 hours trying to guess why.

ballscrewbob

There is a DEBUG version of the IDE in the same folder as the IDE.

Yours is also another good reason not to use netweoked drives and shares or cloud based solutions unless you know what you are doing (which you seem to do)

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Go Up