Go Down

Topic: Interfacing Arduino with Multimeter Software (Port Busy Error) (Read 788 times) previous topic - next topic

stevenir

Arduino newbie here.

I am trying to get my Arduino micro to communicate with multimeter software.  The software (BenchVue) has an option for serial control, but when I connect it to the Arduino's port, I can no longer upload my sketch because the it says "Port busy".  This makes sense to me, since I am already connected to the port from the software; however, this one-way connection means I can't send any information either way.  I don't really understand how to connect from both sides to communicate with the program.

Ultimately, I want to synchronize the multimeter data with the data I am receiving from the Arduino.  If there is a better or easier method, I am open to trying something else as well.

pert

As you discovered, you can only have a port open in one application at a time. If you want to use the same port in BenchVue and the Arduino IDE, you need to disconnect from the port in BenchVue before connecting (uploading or using Serial Monitor) in the Arduino IDE. If BenchVue doesn't provide a way to disconnect from the port, you would need to exit BenchVue.

however, this one-way connection means I can't send any information either way.  I don't really understand how to connect from both sides to communicate with the program.
I don't understand what you mean by that. Please provide a detailed explanation of what you're trying to accomplish.

If you do need to have a serial port to your Arduino open in the Arduino IDE at the same time as you have a serial port to your Arduino open in BenchVue, you can connect a USB to TTL serial adapter (AKA "FTDI") to pins 0 and 1 of your Arduino Micro and open the port of the USB to TTL serial adapter in BenchVue. Pins 0 and 1 are Serial1 on the Micro so you'll need to adjust your code accordingly.

stevenir

Thanks for the response.

As you discovered, you can only have a port open in one application at a time. If you want to use the same port in BenchVue and the Arduino IDE, you need to disconnect from the port in BenchVue before connecting (uploading or using Serial Monitor) in the Arduino IDE. If BenchVue doesn't provide a way to disconnect from the port, you would need to exit BenchVue.
This suggestion solved that part of my problem.  Thanks.

however, this one-way connection means I can't send any information either way.  I don't really understand how to connect from both sides to communicate with the program.
Sorry, poorly articulated.  I guess my issue is that despite the fact that they are "connected", I'm not sure how to do anything with that, since I don't know how to send data in either direction.  I am currently printing my data with Serial.print(), and would like to either send that to the BenchVue program or receive the data from BenchVue to Arduino.

I will spend some more time playing around with it.  Unfortunately, there is very little documentation for the BenchVue software, but perhaps it makes more sense to ask my question in their forums.[/quote]

ieee488

Ultimately, I want to synchronize the multimeter data with the data I am receiving from the Arduino.  If there is a better or easier method, I am open to trying something else as well.
Benchvue ---> PC
Arduino ---> PC

PC program synchronizes the data by when it reads the data from both

sterretje

Just like e.g. serial monitor is able to send and receive or avrdude is able to send and receive on the same port (for uploads), other software can also do that.

As indicated, the only thing is that you can not have two application trying to communicate using the same port at the same time. So your BenchVue can communicate both ways (if it supports that).
If you understand an example, use it.
If you don't understand an example, don't use it.

Electronics engineer by trade, software engineer by profession. Trying to get back into electronics after 15 years absence.

Go Up