Go Down

Topic: MKR1400 SMS issue (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

neilster

Hi,

New MKR GSM 1400, SIM activated, and I'm running the stock SendSMS sketch.  I set the PIN (0000) in arduino_secrets.h .
I get this (number changed), but I never receive an SMS message.  I'm not sure what to do/check next.  Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Code: [Select]
SMS Messages Sender
Not connected
GSM initialized
Enter a mobile number: 1561xxxyyyy
Now, enter SMS content: SENDING

COMPLETE!

Enter a mobile number:

Clintdm92

What company did you get the SIM through? I had this same problem when I started, and the reason was because the company did not allow for peer to peer messages. It would only send stuff to an APN or something like that.

neilster

This is the SIM that came with the MKR GSM 1400 module.  I got it a few days ago, activated the card and got confirmation that the card was activated yesterday.
https://store.arduino.cc/usa/sim

Clintdm92

Are you entering "0000"for the PIN, or ""? I believe it should be the later.

Ex:   #define SECRET_PINNUMBER ""

If that doesn't work, try changing GSM gsmAccess; to GSM gsmAccess(true);. This will output what the modem is doing to the serial monitor and it might help you narrow in on the problem.

neilster

I originally left that empty (""), but then I saw in the SIM information page that the PIN is 0000, so I changed it to "0000".

I also just tried to make a voice call, but nothing.

I just changed that parameter you suggested, and I get this.  Looks like CREG? checks to see if the device is registered on the network, and it seems "0,5" is registered, though I don't know what the 5 represents.

Code: [Select]
SMS Messages Sender
βΈ®AT
OK
AT+IPR=921600
OK
AT
OK
AT+UPSV=3
OK
AT+CPIN?
ERROR
AT+CPIN?
+CPIN: READY
OK
AT+CMGF=1
OK
AT+UDCONF=1,1
OK
AT+CTZU=1
OK
AT+UDTMFD=1,2
OK
AT+CREG?
+CREG: 0,0
OK
AT+CREG?
OK
AT+CREG?
OK
AT+CREG?
OK
AT+CREG?
OK
AT+CREG?
OK
AT+CREG?
OK
+UMWI: 0,1
+UMWI: 0,2
+UMWI: 0,3
+UMWI: 0,4
AT+CREG?
OK
AT+CREG?
OK
AT+CREG?
OK
AT+CREG?
OK
AT+CREG?
OK
AT+CREG?
OK
AT+CREG?
OK
AT+CREG?
OK
AT+CREG?
OK
AT+CREG?
OK
AT+CREG?
OK
AT+CREG?
OK
AT+CREG?
OK
AT+CREG?
OK
AT+CREG?
OK
AT+CREG?
OK
AT+CREG?
OK
AT+CREG?
OK
AT+CREG?
OK
AT+CREG?
OK
AT+CREG?
OK
AT+CREG?
OK
AT+CREG?
OK
AT+CREG?
+CREG: 0,5
OK
AT+UCALLSTAT=1
OK

GSM initialized

Enter a mobile number: 1561xxxyyyy
Now, enter SMS content: SENDING
AT+CMGS="1561xxxyyyy"

> blah
ERROR

COMPLETE!

Enter a mobile number:

Clintdm92

I found the problem, it looks like the SIM is only compatible with the arduino IoT cloud. See here under "overview":

https://store.arduino.cc/usa/sim

It's pretty much the same issue that I had, which i mentioned in my first comment.

You could shop around for another service provider. I use Ting and I love it. They are pay as you go, it's super cheap, and they offer IoT services. See their rates here

Their IoT signup page is here:
https://iot.ting.com/

While you wait for a new SIM, you could play around with the Arduino IoT Cloud services. It's pretty simple to learn and it will at least give you something to do with the board while you wait.

neilster

Ah, gotcha.  I have been having issues with 2G service using a SIM800L module, then saw this with SMS examples, so I picked it up.  Did not realize that it would not do SMS.  Bummer.

I moved a SIM from another phone into this and was able to successfully send an SMS message, so this is apparently confirmed.

Appreciate the help on this... thanks!

Go Up