Go Down

Topic: What I want module makers to do (Read 983 times) previous topic - next topic

Geek Emeritus

Jun 04, 2019, 01:32 am Last Edit: Jun 04, 2019, 02:27 am by Geek Emeritus
People who make modules tend to get it working and start shipping before they think things through. Not everyone can have a focus committee. Therefore I propose that we do it for them.

I need the ability to hard mount a module. no less than three screw holes, preferably 3.5 mm for both 3 mm & 4-40 screws

I would prefer that they came with the header not attached, and the SMA connector unattached, because if I need straight up connectors I get 90s on the wrong side of the board.

5 hole SMA connections give you many mounting options. 3 tabs give you one. There should be a way to disconnect the built in antenna if you need an external antenna

if the wizard who designed the LCD I2C backpack had shifted the 4 pin connector 2 hole locations, .2", to the inside of the  module you could use 4-40 standoffs on all 4 corners

a one channel optocoupler or level converter would be nice. a 12 VDC to 3.3 level signal converter would be nice.

putting a battery the size of an aspirin on a module is silly. put a JST connector on it, or a CR2032

If a module takes 5 V power and 3.3V signal should it not have a zener diode on that 3.3V input?

if you could get the attention of those guys for 1 minute, what would you suggest?

added: I mount NANOs on perfboard ans I add a pair of jumpers for 0 & 1. I can use Serial and disconnect 0 & 1 for uploading.

I2C device makers should put address change pins on every board, regardless of function.
All PMs will be deleted unopened due to arrogant argumentative pot stirring Malfoys.
 If you have not read "How to use this forum - please read", in particular: "7. If you are posting code or error messages, use "code" tags":  expect rude responses

pert

I need the ability to hard mount a module. no less than three screw holes, preferably 3.5 mm for both 3 mm & 4-40 screws
Yes! I despise modules without mounting holes. I don't mess with glue or tape in my finished projects and I'm certainly not going to leave the module hanging loose from its wires inside the enclosure so I end up mounting those modules without holes by sandwiching the edge of the PCB between two washers mounted to a standoff with a screw. That is really a pain to do and it can be difficult to even find areas of the PCB that are free from components to do this with.

I'm actually surprised I haven't found some sort of plastic PCB mounting brackets for this purpose. I have spent some time looking for them.

The only exception to the mounting hole requirement is if the module is in a DIP format, with the pins on a standard grid so that I can mount it by headers or soldering to a stripboard.

I would prefer that they came with the header not attached
At least offer the option of without headers. For beginners, pre-soldered headers are nice because they might not own a soldering iron but it is a pain when you have to desolder a header from something to replace it with the one you need.

if you could get the attention of those guys for 1 minute, what would you suggest?
Put the darn PTH on a 0.1" grid. I bought every common cheap step down and boost converter module on eBay and only a few of them ended up being on-grid. To use the off-grid ones I either need to mount the module separately (which is a lot of extra work even when there are mounting holes and results in more wires cluttering things up), or else make a custom PCB with custom footprint for that module's pin spacing. What a joke!

Geek Emeritus

sandwiching the edge of the PCB between two washers
...with nylon washers and nylon screws, no doubt.

I tend to mount small things with many wires in pill bottles. my supply of film cans dried up. this is a good excuse to buy a 3d plotter
All PMs will be deleted unopened due to arrogant argumentative pot stirring Malfoys.
 If you have not read "How to use this forum - please read", in particular: "7. If you are posting code or error messages, use "code" tags":  expect rude responses

jimLee

Jun 05, 2019, 07:40 am Last Edit: Jun 05, 2019, 07:41 am by jimLee
3D printing your own cases does away with much of the module mounting issues. You can get really creative if you can design it yourself. At least that's what I do. For example the Teensy 3.2 is like mounting a tiny porcupine. Nothing but connections everywhere. But it such a nice processor, I came up with a small click-in mount I can add to my projects just to hold one.

-jim lee
PNW Ardiuno & Maker club
1012 9Th Street, Anacortes, WA 98221 (Around the back of building)

Go Up