Go Down

Topic: Windows 7 vs Windows 10?? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

bkdroid13

I am formatting my computer, I am struggling to decide on which windows to install.
Windows 10 does not ask user whether to install upadates or not.

Let me know your views on which to choose version of window.

Thanks

pert

Windows 7 was way better than Windows 10. When I installed Windows 10, I had to put in several solid days of work weeding out all the worthless/harmful bloat and spyware that comes pre-installed, searching for configuration settings in their ridiculously illogical and disorganized structure, and doing registry hacks just to get Windows 10 to any sort of a usable state and even still there are some UI changes that are just so incredibly inferior to what we've had since the Windows 3.1 days. Despite many hours of working on it, I still haven't gotten file sharing between the computers on my LAN working 1.5 years after updating to Windows 10, even though I could do this easily on Windows 7.

That said, I had to spend a good deal of work getting Windows 7 functional as well (though once I was done it was a great OS). This is the reason I switched to Windows 10 when I upgraded my computer. I didn't want to go through all the work setting Windows 7 up all over again when that OS is well on its way to becoming obsolete.

Robin2

Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Nick_Pyner

Jun 08, 2019, 04:51 pm Last Edit: Jun 09, 2019, 03:57 am by Nick_Pyner
From windows 10 users, I get the impression that there is a cultural shift required to use it, which essentially boils down to leaving your fly undone, and not for much reward.  This OS business can be determined by what your software will work with but while W7 left some software and peripherals behind, I have never heard  of it being disadvantaged compared to W10.

ieee488

No more Windows 7 security updates after January 14, 2020 which is about 6 months away.

I still have Windows 7 on all my PCs.

However, my main PC dual boots between Linux Mint 18 and Windows 7.

Nick_Pyner

I'm not sure how much that really means. Every laptop I have is on XP, and I won't bother asking when the security updates ran out for that. My desktop is W7 and, while the start up time is abysmal, I won't be changing it next January.

Robin2

Jun 09, 2019, 09:04 am Last Edit: Jun 09, 2019, 09:05 am by Robin2
I'm not sure how much that really means. Every laptop I have is on XP, and I won't bother asking when the security updates ran out for that.
At this stage the hackers have probably forgotten how to hack XP so it may be more secure than it ever was. :)

Puppy Linux works well on older hardware - and it can run off a USB stick.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Nick_Pyner

On that matter, my beloved Dell 505 has spent the last few years running XP on an 8Gb CF card liberated from a camera. More convenient to have it inside.

Go Up