Go Down

Topic: How to choose the right Programmer ? (Read 318 times) previous topic - next topic

Guillaume60

Good morning,
I am trying to upload the OpenX Sensor ino sketch on a Pro mini, from a 10.9 MAC.
I use a UsbSerial adaptator from PL with a PL1303 chip, because I never could get the usual CH340 one to install/work on neither of my machines.
The Port is recongnized but I get an error message "Board not responding".
I use the default Programmer, 'Arduino as ISP'.
Is it wrong ? Why ? How do I choose the proper one from the long list of possibilities ?

2nd question: do I have to connect he RST pin of the Promini to the DTR pin of the USBSerial ? or no ?

Thanks !!

pert

I use the default Programmer, 'Arduino as ISP'.
Is it wrong ? Why ?
For what you're doing, it makes absolutely no difference what you have selected in the Tools > Programmer menu when you do a regular Upload. That menu selection is only used when you do a Tools > Burn Bootloader or a Sketch > Upload Using Programmer.

do I have to connect he RST pin of the Promini to the DTR pin of the USBSerial ? or no ?
Connect the DTR pin of the USBSerial to the pin marked "GRN" on your Pro Mini.

I get an error message "Board not responding".
That is most likely because you didn't have the DTR pin connected, or because you had it connected incorrectly. The Pro Mini must be reset at the start of the upload process. The DTR pin is used to do this automatically. Without the DTR pin connected, you would need to manually reset the Pro Mini at just the right time.

After connecting the DTR pin, if you're still having problems uploading, let us know and we'll try to help you find the solution.

Guillaume60

Thank you Pert, it uploaded fine. It was indeed the DTR pin. I connected it to the DTR pin of the Promini (some clone) and it announced a proper upload.
Thanks for your help.

regards

pert

You're welcome. I'm glad to hear it's working now. Enjoy!
Per

Go Up