Go Down

Topic: Novice Question (Read 209 times) previous topic - next topic

BullEngineer

Does tesla use arduino in their car at all? what controllers do they use?
If not, will arduino's revenue fall in the near future?

BJHenry

No, they almost certainly don't. Why would that have anything to do with Arduino's revenue?

AWOL

Jun 11, 2019, 04:43 pm Last Edit: Jun 11, 2019, 04:44 pm by AWOL
It is quite hard to fathom how this question appeared in a forum section labelled
Introductory Tutorials
Tutorials for new people on the forum.
and with the following two topics at the top
I'M SERIOUS - DON'T PUT YOUR QUESTIONS HERE
PLEASE DON'T POST YOUR QUESTIONS IN THIS TUTORIAL SECTION
"Pete, it's a fool (who) looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.
I speak for myself, not Arduino.

Patrick_M

per inserire (lo sketch) il programma, dall'IDE clicca modifica, clicca copia per il forum poi vieni qui e incolla nel tuo post (ctrl+v) ;)

Qdeathstar

No, tesla uses nvidia chips, supplanted by their own in house fsd computer. I think the Nissan Leaf uses a mega to control all its systems tho.
A creaking creeping shadow
stiff against the freezing fog
glares at a tickless watch.

Time has failed him -- all things shall pass.

Robin2

It is quite hard to fathom how this question appeared in a forum section labelled ...
And from an OP with 93 posts under his belt as I write this.

I suspect it was just an effort to reach the magic 100 posts.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

BullEngineer

sorry, It was an honest question. No need to alpha my 93 posts, I dont have time to post 25 times per day lol

westfw

Jun 13, 2019, 11:29 am Last Edit: Jun 13, 2019, 11:31 am by westfw
An average modern car might contain 25 to 50 microcontrollers of various sizes and types.  Probably more than that on a Tesla.  None of them is an "arduino", but I wouldn't be surprised to find an AVR doing something like managing the touch screen of the entertainment system.

Huh: https://teslatap.com/undocumented/model-s-processors-count/

BullEngineer

Very interesting isn't it? Electrification is huge in the automotive realm and it is strange to me how arduino still wants to deal with novice;s like me! why arent they shooting for the stars?

AWOL

Jun 13, 2019, 04:49 pm Last Edit: Jun 13, 2019, 07:39 pm by AWOL
Very interesting isn't it?
I suppose, when you think about it ... no.

Electrification is huge in the automotive realm and it is strange to me how arduino still wants to deal with novice;s like me! why arent they shooting for the stars?
Physically, an Arduino is just a common, non-automotive grade microcontroller on a board, with some non-automotive grade support chips.
As is, it wouldn't be appropriate to use Arduino products in commercial automotive applications.
With the addition of add-ons to make it appropriate, it wouldn't be attractive to the hobbyist.

Would it be inappropriate to ask what subject you're studying for a masters in?
"Pete, it's a fool (who) looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.

westfw

it is strange to me how arduino still wants to deal with novice;s like me!
Novices are less discerning, and more fun.

In general, auto manufacturers don't deal with "middlemen" like the Arduino.  They either deal direction with the chip manufacturers (in quantities large enough that they can get exactly the features they want), or complete product-like modules (radios, "oil temp sending module.")

The more interesting "marketing" question is how Arduino managed to lose to the micro:bit people in the British educational market...

AWOL

The more interesting "marketing" question is how Arduino managed to lose to the micro:bit people in the British educational market...
AVR == Norway
ARM == UK

BullEngineer

I'm going to get my JD and hopefully become a patent lawyer. my undergrad was mechanical engineering.

Good points, would like to see some better grade devices from arduino's side.

AWOL

would like to see some better grade devices from arduino's side.
They'll be expensive; you're in a minority.

BullEngineer

maybe I am, but doesnt arduino have a majority?

Go Up