Go Down

Topic: Old threads (Read 402 times) previous topic - next topic

xkldnamhai

If someone tries to add to a thread that has been dormant for more than 120 days then I understand a warning pops up asking if they wish to continue.

Cannot we lock such threads automatically? In the event that someone really does have a contribution to make the thread could be unlocked?

Robin2

I support that idea.

But don't hold your breath waiting for it to be implemented.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

pert

I haven't noticed that we have a significant problem of people inappropriately posting to old threads. It does happen occasionally, but I suspect those people would just inappropriately post to a newer thread if they were blocked from posting on the old thread. You must do a Google search to find the old threads and anyone who bothers to do a Google search is quite advanced as far as this forum goes.

AWOL

In the event that someone really does have a contribution to make the thread could be unlocked?
How is this different to the current behaviour?

Robin2

How is this different to the current behaviour?
Currently old Threads are not locked.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

AWOL

Currently old Threads are not locked.

...R
Yes, but they require a conscious effort to post in.

I'm not clear how an unlocking mechanism would work.

pert

I'm not clear how an unlocking mechanism would work.
The message about the thread being old could provide a link to where you can request the thread be unlocked (which would just be the same link as "Report to moderator"). The same automated mechanism that locked it the first time around should lock it again after the thread has been inactive for another 120 days.

AWOL

Jun 13, 2019, 10:33 pm Last Edit: Jun 13, 2019, 10:34 pm by AWOL
Why load up the mods further?

Why not the admins?

pert

I don't know enough about how the forum works to understand the distinction between the two. It seems like a human review of why someone wants to have the thread unlocked would be required and that's the sort of thing the mods do.

I don't think this proposed feature is necessary or helpful, and certainly not worth making the more work for the moderators, but you asked how it would work and I gave my idea on that.

AWOL

I'm perfectly happy with how things are now, thanks.

Coding Badly

ballscrewbob

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Hal_Posoyan

Dumb idea. The age of a thread is irrelevant, and even if there is a limit, who's to say 120 days is the right one? That's purely arbitrary, and could just as easily be 90 or 180 days.

There are quite a few new posts tacked onto old threads which clearly add to the value of the thread (I found <this> library kind of thing, or tried <that> and Hey Presto it worked), and then the next searcher gets the benefit of that new addition to the body of knowledge. Or, what's wrong with asking the OP in an old unresolved thread if they ever got to a solution that they didn't tack on to the thread.

One of the big problems is ofc hi-jacking a thread with a new, perhaps nominally related but nevertheless different question. That's just as likely to happen on a current (that is, last post newer than the arbitrary 120 days) thread as an old one.

Go Up