Go Down

Topic: MP3 Player with long file names (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

snoche

Hi Arduinatics,

I have a few mp3 players and I am familiar with them and all them works fine, DFPlayer, JQ6500, OE6590, VS1053, YX5300.

My problem is regarding to get the full name of the file, It is possible to get long file names on any of this modules?

I have found some beta library for SDFat2 that looks promising but not sure if there is a library for any mp3 player to support it.

I just need to display the name of the song on my display screen.

Anyone know a way to do that or another module that allow me to do that?

Thank you  :D

Thee_Captain

I would suggest that you name the files by an ID and index them in an array along side the data you would like to know about them; title, length, artist. Many of the libraries for the DFPlayer do not use the filename at all. They go by the order they are stored on the SD card.
Throw a little karma my way. What goes around comes around.

DVDdoug

I've never used the DFPlayer but there's a LOT you CAN'T DO without an operating system/file system.   :(  

Wow...  I'm remembering the old DOS days when had "8.3" filenames (limited to 8 characters plus the 3-character file-type extension)... That was lousy!

BTW - Audio/media players (WMP, iTunes, whatever's running on your phone, or iPod) generally 'don't care' about the file name.     The player software reads the embedded tags/metadata so you can search/sort by artist, title, album, genre, year, etc.

Geek Emeritus

check to see if you can use names like 001_tuba_toot. I believe the Tsunami WAV trigger & the YX-5300 ignore everything after the 3 digit number

I also believe some vendors will tell you anything to make a sale, so nothing is true until you verify it's true
All PMs will be deleted unopened due to arrogant argumentative pot stirring Malfoys.
 If you have not read "How to use this forum - please read", in particular: "7. If you are posting code or error messages, use "code" tags":  expect rude responses

Thee_Captain

I have tested three inexpensive MP3 players with on board micro SD slots. The DFPlayer Mini and two others. (Catalex and another?) You do not get access to the files. You must use the interfaces the hardware provides and I have yet to find one that gives you what one would expect from a large flash storage device attached such as an SD card. You do not get functions such as read() from the SD card. You get functions like play(), next(), prev(). The SD card is obfuscated from the interface on the microcontroller. You will need to manage your data in some other way.

snoche

I would suggest that you name the files by an ID and index them in an array along side the data you would like to know about them; title, length, artist. Many of the libraries for the DFPlayer do not use the filename at all. They go by the order they are stored on the SD card.
That is what I am trying to avoid, I have over 500 files and all works perfectly, I can read folders, files etc using dfplayer, I only need to display the full name of the file.

Having to remake an index file every time I change my files will be a lot of work and also I can not read that file using DFplayer.

Update:
I have tried the code from this post:
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=171663.0

And it work perfect, but using the VS1053, that card uses SDfat.

I am wondering if is a way I can do the same but for the dfplayer, that will be amazing.

Is there any way I can hack the module to use sdfat with it?

Cheers,
David

Thee_Captain

I am wondering if is a way I can do the same but for the dfplayer, that will be amazing.

Is there any way I can hack the module to use sdfat with it?
I believe you must create a bus for the SD card and give the DFPlayer access with a tri-state buffer and deny access to your microcontroller using another tri-state buffer; Grumpy_Mike explains.

Go Up