Go Down

Topic: Re-flashing MKR 1400 bootloader (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

neilster

Tinkering with low-level timer control last night, and my MKR 1400 stopped being recognized by my laptop anymore.  Another MKR 1400 which works fine, so it's something on the MKR itself.  LEDs come on etc as before so I suspect (hope!) it's just a bootloader issue.  

Where does one download the official bootloader for this?  And I have some STM32 discovery boards where I can use the SWD to program external devices... can I use that to flash the MKR bootloader?

Thanks.

MartinL

Hi neilster,

Have you tried double tapping the reset button, (two times in quick succession). This puts the board into bootloader mode. In the Arduino IDE just select the bootloader's COM port and upload as normal.

This is usually necessary when the current sketch crashes, preventing new sketches from being uploaded in the normal manner.

neilster

Hmmm... this worked.  But why?  Curious where you learned about this.

And thanks again Martin!

MartinL

Jun 13, 2019, 09:00 am Last Edit: Jun 13, 2019, 09:01 am by MartinL
Hmmm... this worked.  But why?  Curious where you learned about this.
In the absence of any official documentation, I also learnt about it on this forum.

It's strange that the double tap reset procedure isn't more widely documented, as it's essential for recovering the board if the sketch crashes during operation.

neilster

All my 8-bit Arduino knowledge came from forums, built-in examples, and little tutorials over several years.  But I was tinkering then, so several years was fine.  Now I want the fast-track to MKR proficiency, but these are still relatively new and not as popular so there are no books or online tutorials that I can find.  Will have to duke it out through each issue as they arise.

Thanks.

rick_h87

I had the same problem. I tried the double tap  on mine but it didn't work. I'am at a loss. I've looked at the schematic of the board on the Arduino site I thought I might be able to flash it through a different port but I don't see anything.

Go Up