Go Down

Topic: Problem using the Omron EE-SX4070 photo interrupter  (Read 382 times) previous topic - next topic

TrveAshwin

So I'm trying to use an EE-SX4070 photo interrupter as an encoder but I can't seem to be able to get the thing to work. I am a novice and tried following the attached wiring. The transistor end just gets really hot when I run the sketch and I can't tell what's wrong. So, is the wiring correct and if it isn't how should I wire it? What else can I be doing wrong? Thanks for any help you can offer,

Ashwin

dougp

You have it connected backwards.  A well known, but little mentioned convention in electronic schematics is that inputs are on the left and outputs on the right.  Ground is at the bottom and positive power is at the top.

Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real.  If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. - Niels Bohr

No private consultations undertaken!

TrveAshwin

I don't get you. Yours seems to be the same wiring. K to ground, A to power, V, O, G to the connected correctly too. Can you clarify some more? Thanks

JCA79B

I Don't see the purpose of R2, it keeps the input pin pulled HIGH no matter the state of the opto, try @dougp's circuit, input pin will be normally HIGH and go LOW when 5V is applied to "A" and the beam is not broken.

EDIT: And do try to clear your mind of the notion that HIGH means ON and LOW means OFF.   

dougp

Yours seems to be the same wiring. K to ground, A to power, V, O, G to the connected correctly too.
A bit of visual dyslexia on my part.  However, the circuit by @JCA79B is  the usual open collector.
Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real.  If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. - Niels Bohr

TrveAshwin

So, I tried this new circuit and I still seem to be getting the same problem. The transistor end just heats up and the interrupter isn't doing what I want it to. Any other solutions I can try?

dougp

So, I tried this new circuit and I still seem to be getting the same problem.
Please post a graphic showing the current circuit.

jremington

Jun 17, 2019, 02:02 am Last Edit: Jun 17, 2019, 02:05 am by jremington
The transistor end just heats up
The wiring diagram is correct, so you have either physically wired it incorrectly (wrong components, confused the pin numbering) or damaged the module, or both.

If it heats up it may be permanently damaged, so plan on a replacement.
The unrighteous man findeth no place to lay his head.

TrveAshwin

The circuit was correct, I was simply wiring it wrong. I checked the pins with a multimeter and figured out the correct wiring. It works perfectly now. Thanks for all your help. Means a lot  :)

Go Up