Some basic HELP PLEASE! I'm getting crazy!

Trying to build a variable speed motor control. 12v dc. (Automobile power window motor.)
Purchased a HiLetgo 12V-40V 10A PWM DC Motor Speed Controller CVT Speed Switch Module.
It worked for a while, then it said SNAP, then quit working.
I saw a video of a guy that made his own controller. ( Now I can't find it. )
Luckily I did sketch the layout I think he made. Enclosed. ( I hope! )
I have been beating my head against the wall. Searching for the parts he recommends.
I'm looking for some CTC 1351 transistors WITH heat sinks that fits the unit on a breadboard.
Also a 250K variable resistor.
I am a complete moron when it comes to electronics.
If some kind person could help find me the components that I'm looking for, I would be forever grateful.
I am on kind of a limited budget, I don't think I can afford one of the high price, heavy duty controllers.
Also if I fry it I believe it would be fairly to swap out a new transistor.
I'm also am open to any suggestions for another way.
But PLEASE REMEMBER I need details, again I am a electronics moron.
Thank You all in advanced.
Jerome

The CTC 1351 is a NPN transistor, and the picture uploaded indicates linear regulation (bad/hot).
Forget about that transistor. You need a mosfet and PWM.

Motor stall current probably was higher than the driver could handle.
If you don't want to use an Arduino, then try a larger controller.
Leo..

I have used those motors in projects, but only in an on/off configuration.

Using PWM and a MOSFET transistor, as mentioned, should work fine.

Something similar to Q3 or Q4:

Do you want the motor also to be reversible ? If so, you also need to look at an H-Bridge or a controller which incorporates one.

I guess if your existing controller is similar to this 12v-40v 10a modulation pwm dc motor speed control switch governor Sale - Banggood.com sold out-arrival notice-arrival notice, it will have a fuse and replacing this might at least temporarily solve your problem.