Go Down

Topic: How to use resistors to make a heater (Read 362 times) previous topic - next topic

L4l1nd3

Hi everyone.

I want to know how to make a heater, i thinks it would be a good idea to take one big piece of conductor and pass voltage throught it.
But i also thought that i can take a lot of simple resistors.

I serached for a create heater and i check this one but i dont know if it is trustworthy. (link below)

https://www.amazon.es/Ils-Calentador-Coches-Temperatura-Constante/dp/B07FCJ29HB/ref=sr_1_11?__mk_es_ES=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&keywords=resistencia+calentador+arduino&qid=1560649380&s=gateway&sr=8-11

This one also is perfect but is moer expensive and maybe bigger than i want to (link below)

https://www.amazon.es/Calentador-Termost%C3%A1tico-Cer%C3%A1mica-Elemento-Calefactor/dp/B07912GT8W/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_es_ES=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&keywords=resistencia+calentador+arduino&qid=1560649380&s=gateway&sr=8-1

The future of this project is to create a incubator that allow you to monitorize and modify temperature and humedity.

Thanks! :)  :)

Southpark

Jun 16, 2019, 03:53 am Last Edit: Jun 16, 2019, 03:55 am by Southpark
How about a soldering iron heating element? Or look up nichrome heating coil.

larryd

You need to give more information.

example: size of area, temperature range, power available etc.

BTW, you do not put voltage through a load.

What is your experience with software and hardware?

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

Grumpy_Mike

But i also thought that i can take a lot of simple resistors.
Yes you can, you can use any resistor or collection of resistors in series or parallel. The only problem is the current it will take. Each resistor has a power rating, that is the maximum power it can dissipate, that is the maximum power it can supply in heat.

This power is derived from the current through the resistor multiplied by the voltage across it. If you fiddle about with ohms law you get the formula
Power = V2/R

You need to work out how much power you need to supply to heat your box. An incubator normally uses an incandescent light of about 40W and providing you live in a sane country you can buy these easily.

MorganS

Resistors can be purchased in any power rating from 0.125W to hundreds of watts. When I need a small heater of (imagine) 10W, I'll buy 2W resistors and put 5 of them on a circuit board. If I'm heating air, a little fan of whatever style suits my installation blows air over the resistors. If I'm heating an object, I'll get the resistors touching the object. The resistor value depends on the voltage. For 12V, I'll use 120 Ohm resistors.

You can get self-adhesive pads to heat objects. From just a few watts to hundreds. They can get expensive, $70 or so even for small ones. You can also buy resistance wire heaters to wrap around objects or pipes.

While it's possible to buy Nichrome wire and make your own heater, it's very difficult - you need a lot of wire and you need to wind it in a way that maximises heat transfer and doesn't let the wires touch each other. Those heaters you found look pretty neat. I would buy one of them.
"The problem is in the code you didn't post."

Paul_KD7HB

Another example. Every year we make several hundred heater boards to keep laser diodes warm(snow plows). Each heavy FR4 board has four 5 watt wire wound resistors mounted tightly to the circuit board that has a hole in the middle for the diode.

Paul

Go Up