Go Down

Topic: How to run two strips in parallel  (Read 954 times) previous topic - next topic

venicenerd

I'm gonna model up something more detailed on tinkercad.com now. Will Post soon. Hopefully I understood it correctly. ;)

venicenerd

Jun 17, 2019, 12:11 am Last Edit: Jun 17, 2019, 12:35 am by venicenerd
Ok. So how is this:

I used tinkercard.com to draw up a more detailed schematic. I put the capacitor on the breadboard between Ground and 5V. Can I do it like that?

Or I could do it like this:

Here the Arduino is powered by USB. I think I may prefer this so that I can also keep uploading programs to it while it's running.

Am I getting closer to getting everything hooked up correctly?

venicenerd

Or do I need to do it like this, where I am ALSO connecting the ground between the two strips directly:

I pointed to the additional connections with a red arrow. Not sure if this is now overkill or not...

PaulRB

Jun 17, 2019, 07:36 am Last Edit: Jun 19, 2019, 09:55 pm by PaulRB
I know you are using the breadboard images to demonstrate how the connections are to be wired. But you should know that in practice you should never have currents more than about one amp flowing through a breadboard. The power supply should be wired directly to the strips so that almost all the current bypasses the breadboard. It's ok to power the Arduino through the breadboard, because that current will be less than 0.1A.

venicenerd

Copy that! How about the rest of the setup? Does it look correct?

PaulRB

Copy that! How about the rest of the setup? Does it look correct?
Yes, OK. The two ground wires with the red arrows do not need to be heavy gauge, they can be thin but they should run close to the data wire.

Also, a large cap, e.g. 1000uF, close the power connections to each strip. Or 470uF at each end of each strip maybe.

Go Up