Go Down

Topic: Recommendations for a basic hobby level Oscilloscope (Read 435 times) previous topic - next topic

slydog75

Hope this is the right place for this..

I'm just getting back into Electronics after 5 years as  a bench technician in the Marine Corps (nearly 20 years ago) and haven't used an oscilloscope since then. 

DO you all have a recommendation for a basic (ie inexpensive) hobby level oscilloscope?  I'll mainly be doing small projects with my daughter, based around the Arduino and possibly the Pi.  Want the oscilloscope mainly for educational purposes right now.

Thanks!

larryd

Welcome to the group.

Search the forum as this has been discussed many times previously.

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

larryd

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

wolframore

Welcome slydog... ooh rah! I was 2831 back in the days... what is your budget.  I just picked up a 2 channel 200MHz for about $270... I like the new stuff... high speed low drag. very light and works well.  I believe you can get kits starting at about $20-30.  All depends on your budget and requirements.
Bad Boys Rate Our Young Girls But Violet Goes willingly - Get Some Now :) - ELI the ICE man

slydog75

Jun 12, 2019, 06:39 pm Last Edit: Jun 12, 2019, 06:46 pm by slydog75
Welcome slydog... ooh rah! I was 2831 back in the days... what is your budget.  I just picked up a 2 channel 200MHz for about $270... I like the new stuff... high speed low drag. very light and works well.  I believe you can get kits starting at about $20-30.  All depends on your budget and requirements.
2841 here!  I spent 3 years with ELMACO in Camp Lejeune and my last year with ELMACO in Okinawa (Camp Hansens).  

I was looking at stuff in the $250 to $300 range.

Also, I just noticed your resistor mnemonic... We learned the same one except the "R" was much less PC...

DVDdoug

What do you consider "inexpensive"?    

Personally, I've gotten-by for many years without an oscilloscope at home, but I do have a couple of Tektronix 'scopes on my benches at work and once or twice, I've brought a hobby project into work, or brought an oscilloscope home.    Sometimes I "lust" for one, but there's the cost, I've got too much "stuff" already, and I haven't really-really needed one.

But, I wouldn't buy one of those super-cheap "oscilloscope boards" (I think there's a board-kit) or cheap USB 'scope that uses the computer's display.    If I was buying one, I'd get a "real" benchtop 'scope and I'd expect to spend $500 - $1000 USD.

At least one (and maybe both) of the Tektronics 'scopes at work were purchased used.     We bought it from a reliable source that rents & sells test equipment so it was fully tested/verified/calibrated and it came with probes.   We haven't had any trouble with them and they are calibrated once a year.   I don't know what we paid, but I'm sure it was more than my "imaginary" $500-1000 budget.

I wouldn't buy one from eBay and I wouldn't buy an "antique" analog 'scope.

wolframore

Jun 12, 2019, 06:48 pm Last Edit: Jun 12, 2019, 07:04 pm by wolframore
2841 here!  I spent 3 years with ELMACO in Camp Lejeune and my last year with ELMACO in Okinawa (Camp Hansens). 

I was looking at stuff in the $200 to $300 range.

Also, I just noticed your resistor mnemonic... We learned the same one except the "R" was much less PC...
I had the original mnemonic but got warned by the moderators so had to change it... HAHA. 

ELMACO is awesome... I did my 3 yrs at LeJeune as well in Comm Co... heard fun stories about Okinawa.

My Hantek 5202P was $269 delivered through Amazon.  I really like it, I do miss the old Tektronix ones we used in the Corps.  It's a little low on memory (if you need that) but has tons of features and pretty darn accurate and love the big color screen.  The "B" models have more memory but higher cost.  So choices are get cheap Chinese ones which work pretty well or old used CRT ones... I don't regret the cheap-o's.

The Rigols and Sigilents have higher overall reviews but I'm pretty happy with mine.

HANTEK DSO5102P
this is the 100Mhz version can be had for about $180 and there are hacks to unlock 200MHz...

You can get inexpensive 20-30 units but they're little better than toys.

Bad Boys Rate Our Young Girls But Violet Goes willingly - Get Some Now :) - ELI the ICE man

Idahowalker

One might, also, consider starting off with a logic analyzer that connects to the PC.

westfw

siglent and rigol are two vendors who have well-respected low-cost "hobbyist" scopes.
(Nice color lcd compact scopes.  Two channels @50Mhz for less than $300, new)

wvmarle

Very happy with my DSO Quad scope from SeeedStudio. Especially as it's so small :-) I'd love to have a desktop one but simply don't have the space, nor use it often enough.

Whether it's suitable for you also depends a lot on how (often) you use it, and for what signals.
Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

moShellShocker

One might, also, consider starting off with a logic analyzer that connects to the PC.
I bought an entry level o'scope a few years ago (can't recall the brand right now and my wife's using it at her work so it's not on the bench) but with hindsight I think a logic analyser would have been more useful for me as an Arduino hobbyist.

Go Up