Go Down

Topic: eBay Power Bank Sellers (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Hiddenvision

Jun 21, 2019, 10:31 am Last Edit: Jun 21, 2019, 10:35 am by Hiddenvision
Hi 6v6,
I think you may be holding the wrong end of the stick.

This situation is not due to error.
The sellers are inflating the capacity in FULL knowledge that it increases sales and the majority of buyers are not technically savey enough to understand that such ratings are physically impossible.

Buyers look for the items with the largest capacity for the lowest price.
For the seller it is a numbers game, they know that they may suffer 5 or 10% loss but this is far outweighed by the increased sales based on false advertising.

I have in fact had in-depth discussion with these sellers and they are fully aware of what they are doing.

Sorry I have to rush out so may edit this later to give a more complete reply.

6v6gt

Hi 6v6,
I think you may be holding the wrong end of the stick.

This situation is not due to error.
The sellers are inflating the capacity in FULL knowledge that it increases sales and the majority of buyers are not technically savey enough to understand that such ratings are physically impossible.

Buyers look for the items with the largest capacity for the lowest price.
For the seller it is a numbers game, they know that they may suffer 5 or 10% loss but this is far outweighed by the increased sales based on false advertising.

I have in fact had in-depth discussion with these sellers and they are fully aware of what they are doing.

Sorry I have to rush out so may edit this later to give a more complete reply.

This  is not an argument I want to spend too long on. Life is too short so I will summarise:

If I buy something on eBay I know I take a risk. I look at the seller's reputation and if the prices is good and I want the product I take a risk.
If I buy an electronic component and the seller also sells say garden tools, fitness drinks and ladies underwear, I know that there may be an error with the description or the goods maybe faulty, rejects etc. If the seller is persistently making errors or falsely describing goods, their reputation score will ultimately reflect this.

If I want guaranteed quality parts, I can go to Mouser, Digikey etc. If I want a cheap powerbank I may take a risk with an eBay retailer. If it turns out to be a bad deal I have options of complaining, asking for a refund, avoiding the seller in future, giving a bad reputation score etc. I'm certainly not going to spend a long time trying to argue about capacity ratings of powerbanks and whether mAH is at internal battery voltage or output voltage etc. etc. with a  general store assistant.

Agreed it would be nice if everything was perfect (and cheap). I agree it is irritating if product ratings are exaggerated etc. but in the UK (it was a UK retailer you started with) I believe you have the additional option of reporting the case to a trading standards officer as an alternative to the "vigilante" procedure you originally outlined.

Hiddenvision

Just felt the need to share these pics.

To simply put batteries into something to increase the weight is a new one.

Lost for words to explain such a thing.

Hiddenvision

Look Ma, the first wireless battery pack.!

Go Up