Go Down

Topic: Sense Position of String Intersecting 2d Plane (Read 727 times) previous topic - next topic

nolanbaker421

I am trying to sense the XY position of string intersecting a 2d plane (square or circle) to keep a machine grinding head at the same/level position.  I am trying to find a way to sense this position, the camera will not work because the Machine will be used outside and have a different light level or get extremely dusty.

zwieblum

what are the known paramerters from this setting? Where is the thing you want to know the position of?

nolanbaker421

The string will run from one end of the base to the other as a line to level the ground off of, the square that the string goes through will be around 3in by 3in to sense how far off the grinder head has drifted.

zwieblum

Jun 18, 2019, 11:47 am Last Edit: Jun 18, 2019, 11:52 am by zwieblum
Yes, but what do you measure? Do you know the height above ground (if that is ground)where the string starts/end? do you know the position of the 2 black posts? and where is the grinding head? do you have a picture of the situation? how big is this thing? how far away from the string do you intend to place whatever-measures-position?

dougp

Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real.  If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. - Niels Bohr

No private consultations undertaken!

zwieblum

Now I don't want to be picky, but where do you see the square of 3x3in and the grinder head? When the stakes are known and the strings height on each stake is known, and orientation and position of that disk and the distance between stakes then the searched point is alsow known. As the point is not known, what oter variables are known?

nolanbaker421

I redrew up the diagram and hopefully this will help you.

zwieblum

Sorry, still don't get it: the string is fixed? the plane moves in Z-direction relative to the plane? The grinding wheeel is in that plane, a bit away from the string?

nolanbaker421

Yes the sting is fixed as a level line and the 2d plane moves in the z-direction and as it moves along the plane I need to get the XY position of the intersection of the string.

dougp

Jun 18, 2019, 09:44 pm Last Edit: Jun 18, 2019, 09:45 pm by dougp
The thread will move the fingers up/down left/right as the machine advances.  Read sensors to get X-Y position.

Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real.  If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. - Niels Bohr

No private consultations undertaken!

nolanbaker421

In this does the string itself have to move the sensors or do the sensors use distance and light to sense where the string is.  Because if the sting has to move a sensor the level will get offset and the head will cut at the wrong level.

zwieblum

The Z movement, are we talking in the range of 1-10 mm, or mor in the range 0f 0.01 to 0.1 mm? To mee it looks like more the second scale, is it?

nolanbaker421

The movement is can be over 10ft to 100ft, the machine is to level gravel for foundations.

zwieblum

nolanbaker421

Within a couple of mm so 1 to 2 mm, that is what is needed to get a level line, but if I could get even more some way that would be even better.

Go Up