Trying to set up different IDE for code development

Hey guys, the Arduino IDE is simple and all, but it can be too simple. No autocomplete, no spell check on verribles, and most of all no error checking and debugging features.

TLDR I want something better.

I tried to setup Eclipse with THIS TUTORIAL but while I was able to include external libraries I was having issues trying to use internal libraries and couldn't really find where I would add the paths to the arduino folders.

Next I tried to use Visual Studio Code with THIS TUTORIAL and I was able to get most internal and external libraries working, but even after double checking the file path in the c_cpp_properties.json file it refuses to find the Arduino.h library (a rather important one. Actually it can open arduino.h just fine, but it "cannot open source file "pins_arduino.h" (dependency of "Arduino.h")"

I was able to get pins_arduino.h working just by downloading the pins_arduino.h from the github repo and adding it to the \Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino, but now I am having a problem where "identifier "Serial" is undefined" Guess it's time to work that out.

If anybody could help me out with one of these, or if you could recommend another program that would be great.

Thanks!

I use this https://eclipse.baeyens.it/. It is for Eclipse and uses the Arduino builder and boards packages

no spell check on verribles

I can see why you would need a spell checker...

PaulS:
I can see why you would need a spell checker...

it is perfect for comments and strings, but OP meant the errors and warnings highlighting, I think

Screenshot from 2019-06-18 19-30-22.png

Screenshot from 2019-06-18 19-30-22.png

Justin_AB:
and most of all no error checking and debugging features.

That is a function of the limited capability of the Atmega chips used in Arduinos. Changing your IDE is not going to solve it.

I use the Geany editor for all my programming. I did try Eclipse years ago but found it much too complicated.

...R

Robin2:
That is a function of the limited capability of the Atmega chips used in Arduinos. Changing your IDE is not going to solve it.

I use the Geany editor for all my programming. I did try Eclipse years ago but found it much too complicated.

...R

I can step debug and see current variable values for SAMD in Eclipse

Juraj:
I can step debug and see current variable values for SAMD in Eclipse

Yes. But not for an Uno or Mega

...R

Robin2:
Yes. But not for an Uno or Mega

...R

for Mega
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=191302.0

Juraj:
for Mega
Small Guide To Arduino ATMEGA2560 JTAG Interfacing With AVRSTUDIO6 - Microcontrollers - Arduino Forum

Interesting. Thanks.

...R

Robin2:
Interesting. Thanks.

...R

328p has something called debugWire over reset pin. maybe the Atmel Studio supports it

I was more thinking about debugging in the code itself, have the code point out stuff like if(var1 = var2) and underline it. I get that all you can really do for real time debugging is add a ton of println statements until you find out what part of your code gives an unexpected response.

Justin_AB:
I was more thinking about debugging in the code itself, have the code point out stuff like if(var1 = var2) and underline it. I get that all you can really do for real time debugging is add a ton of println statements until you find out what part of your code gives an unexpected response.

did you read all comments?