Go Down

Topic: ESP 8266 timed out waiting for packet header (Read 648 times) previous topic - next topic

iamtr

Hi, may I know what is the cause of esp8266 timing out waiting for packet header? I just ran blink on it and it did not seem to work. Any help is greatly appreciated

The error message are as shown below:

Arduino: 1.8.9 (Windows 7), Board: "Generic ESP8266 Module, 80 MHz, Flash, Disabled, All SSL ciphers (most compatible), ck, 26 MHz, 40MHz, DOUT (compatible), 512K (no SPIFFS), 2, nonos-sdk 2.2.1 (legacy), v2 Lower Memory, Disabled, None, Only Sketch, 115200"

Sketch uses 257696 bytes (51%) of program storage space. Maximum is 499696 bytes.
Global variables use 26572 bytes (32%) of dynamic memory, leaving 55348 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 81920 bytes.
esptool.py v2.6
esptool.py v2.6
Serial port COM5
Connecting........_____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____.....____Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\Ong\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\2.5.2/tools/upload.py", line 25, in <module>
    esptool.main(fakeargs)
  File "C:/Users/Ong/AppData/Local/Arduino15/packages/esp8266/hardware/esp8266/2.5.2/tools/esptool\esptool.py", line 2653, in main
    esp.connect(args.before)
  File "C:/Users/Ong/AppData/Local/Arduino15/packages/esp8266/hardware/esp8266/2.5.2/tools/esptool\esptool.py", line 468, in connect
    raise FatalError('Failed to connect to %s: %s' % (self.CHIP_NAME, last_error))
esptool.FatalError: Failed to connect to ESP8266: Timed out waiting for packet header
esptool.FatalError: Failed to connect to ESP8266: Timed out waiting for packet header

_

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

hugo007

Are you sure the drivers of your board are correctly installed?
There is a smal chip on the ESP board that converts from usb to uart. without drivers you canĀ“t upload the code ...
What ESP8266 board are you using?
Debian,Mint,Ubuntu
Arduino Mega 2560
Arduino Nano
Arduino Duemilanove
MAC OS Montain Lion
Raspberry PI Model B

Idahowalker

With the Arduino IDE open and the ESP8286 disconnected, note the serial ports, connect the ESP8286 note the serial ports, did they change?

Did you try holding down the EN button, after selecting to upload the code and release the EN button after the connection has been made?

Have you uploaded code to other devices with the USB cable you are using?

After looking at the schematics of the ESP32, I use a powered USB hub between the ESP32 and the computer. If you look at the ESP8286 schematic, you will see that 5V, of the ESP, is a straight shot into your PC. You may eventually find that to put more then 5V onto the USB line to your PC may cause damage. With a powered hub, I do not need to press the EN button to upload code to the ESP32 and, when I frack up, the frack up is sent to the powered USB hub and not onto the PC's USB power rail.

Go Up