Go Down

Topic: Designing for battery power (Read 2722 times) previous topic - next topic

6v6gt

Here is an example of a microcontroller development system (for the TI MSP‑EXP432P401R) which dose include does include an energy usage monitor in its debug package.

http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/slau597f/slau597f.pdf  

The document is a simple introduction but pages 11 and 12 give some flavour of it.

Forkbeard

@srnet. The " far more flexible" option that is mentioned in the last paragraph of that article uses an avr with a DS3231 RTC which was where I started. "To be continued " I look forward to it.
As he surmised, the sleep current is the easy bit. The activity while awake is the principle actor. And if one is trying to squeeze the best life out of AA batteries, it's certainly nice to know what is happening.

Forkbeard

@6v6gt. The TI approach looks remarkably familiar.
"In debuggers that support EnergyTrace™ technology, a software-controlled DC-DC converter generates the target power supply. The time density of the DC-DC converter charge pulses equals the energy consumption of the target microcontroller."
This is more or less the approach I have adopted but using the Jordanian method of using the charge on the capacitor as the energy measurement.
Looks like I'm on the right path and thanks for the link. It's nice to see they have identified the issue. Now for a simple box to feed your Arduino and give the same measurements...

Go Up