Go Down

Topic: Software upgrade from 1.8.4 to 1.8.9 (Read 347 times) previous topic - next topic

marine_hm

Before I run the exe file.  Will this write over my sketches in my documents folder?  Shouldn't but I want reassurance.  Thanks in advance.

spycatcher2k

It won't, going by experience, but if you are worried, just copy the folder to a temporary location.
Mrs Drew
-=-
UK Based PCB Manufacturing - PM for details
I will design & code for you, but I will also charge you (PM me)
Use Google or search this site BEFORE asking!

marine_hm

Thank you.  Backing up now just in case.

marine_hm

It won't, going by experience, but if you are worried, just copy the folder to a temporary location.
Everything went well.  Thanks again!

pert

The only time you will lose files when you do an update of the Arduino IDE is if you have saved files inside the Arduino IDE installation folder. You will sometimes find tutorials that tell you to install libraries or 3rd party hardware cores under the Arduino IDE installation folder. The people who wrote those instructions don't know what they're talking about. You should always install libraries and hardware cores to the sketchbook folder.

Updating the IDE will not affect your sketchbook folder. There is one exception to this. If you run the Arduino IDE in portable mode then the default sketchbook location is at {Arduino IDE installation folder}/portable/sketchbook. If you're using that sketchbook location then you must make sure to copy the portable folder outside the Arduino IDE installation folder to a safe location before you update the Arduino IDE, then copy it back after. If you're not using the Arduino IDE in portable mode then you don't need to worry about any of that.

Go Up