Go Down

Topic: What to use to power a NEMA 17 stepper motor? (Read 354 times) previous topic - next topic

roxingby

For anyone wondering the motor works (I can power an LED by spinning the shaft).

So I tried using a 9V battery and I checked and it only draws something like 0.1 mA. Not enough for a motor that can go up to even 1.6A (checked on the datasheet).

So what power source am I supposed to use for my project? In particular what battery should I be using?

jremington

NEMA 17 tells us the size of the motor mounting plate, nothing more. Post a link to the data sheet.

To use it as a stepping motor, you need a suitable stepping motor driver and a power supply capable of supplying 10-36V at a couple of Amperes.
The unrighteous man findeth no place to lay his head.

Robin2

Use a DRV8825 stepper motor driver with that motor. Use a power supply that can provide anywhere between 12v and 36v (higher is better) with an output of 2 amps (or more). Be sure to set the current limit on the stepper driver so as to protect the motor.

Stepper motors are very inefficient and are not suited to battery power. If you must use a battery get a rechargeable one that can provide at least 12v and which has a capacity of at least 5 amp hours.

...R
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

roxingby

Use a DRV8825 stepper motor driver with that motor. Use a power supply that can provide anywhere between 12v and 36v (higher is better) with an output of 2 amps (or more). Be sure to set the current limit on the stepper driver so as to protect the motor.

Stepper motors are very inefficient and are not suited to battery power. If you must use a battery get a rechargeable one that can provide at least 12v and which has a capacity of at least 5 amp hours.

...R
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code

Hey I am using a A4988 as the driver, would it still be fine?

Robin2

Hey I am using a A4988 as the driver, would it still be fine?
An A4988 will struggle to provide the 1.68 amps required by your motor. If it overloads it will cut out and you will miss steps. You could set it at 1.5 amps and maybe there would still be enough motor torque.

A heat sink and cooling fan for the A4988 chip would help.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

roxingby

An A4988 will struggle to provide the 1.68 amps required by your motor. If it overloads it will cut out and you will miss steps. You could set it at 1.5 amps and maybe there would still be enough motor torque.

A heat sink and cooling fan for the A4988 chip would help.

...R
Yeah I already put the heat sink on it, it can hold up to 2 amps with it

Robin2

it can hold up to 2 amps with it
Is that based on practical experience or just from reading the marketing blurb?

...R

roxingby

Is that based on practical experience or just from reading the marketing blurb?

...R
It's written on the datasheet

Robin2

It's written on the datasheet
The general consensus on this Forum is that the A4988 cannot provide that current continuously. That's why I suggested setting the current limit at 1.5 amps and, earlier, suggested using a DRV8825.

...R

jremington

The unrighteous man findeth no place to lay his head.

Go Up