Go Down

Topic: Which Arduino Board is Right for Controlling Fans? (Read 130 times) previous topic - next topic

IAkselsen

I work for a company that has developed a controller that changes the speed of the fans it is connected to, and one controller can manage 50 fans, with a two watt potentiometer.  We are looking to make that system wireless, and aim to reach a point where we can control the potentiometer and therefore the fans from an app on a mobile device.  We are looking at several different MCUs to get information from the fan (fan speed, humidity, temperature) by way of an MCU wirelessly connected to a router, and transmit information from a phone back to the router, then the board, then the fan controller and eventually the fans.  Looking at Arduino boards, it seems like the Arduino Mega 2560 Rev3 would be up to the task, but I'm not entirely sure if it is capable of what we want it to do.  Is it?  and if it isn't, does Arduino make any boards that are?

Juraj

fan with AC motor? controlled with a pot?

Mega? what for? you need 4 pins not 53
You can't write an Arduino sketch if you didn't learn programming. Not the language, but the concepts of programming - algorithms and data types.

IAkselsen

The Mega seemed to be the most versatile board, and I was unsure of what I needed.  This would be for mainly AC, but sometimes people special order DC fans. 

Juraj

https://arduino.stackexchange.com/questions/63631/fan-regulator-control-from-arduino/63674#63674

https://arduino.stackexchange.com/questions/66115/about-atmega32-event-system/66117#66117
You can't write an Arduino sketch if you didn't learn programming. Not the language, but the concepts of programming - algorithms and data types.

Juraj

all 50 fans should be controlled from one MCU and have the same speed?

IAkselsen

Juraj

yes all 50 have the same speed?
without '?' ?

and now the AC version is controlled with a circuit with triac to control the power and a potentiometer to control the triac timing?
what is the power consumed by all 50 fans?

Go Up