Go Down

Topic: Weird Electronic Problem (Read 823 times) previous topic - next topic

Grumpy_Mike

That "schematic / block diagram" does not show the ground of the 12V supply being connected to the ground of the Arduino. Like you said you had done.

Slammer88

That "schematic / block diagram" does not show the ground of the 12V supply being connected to the ground of the Arduino. Like you said you had done.
Thats because normally i didn't connect it. It was just for trial. When the problem first occured, gnd of 12v was not connected to this common system.

Slammer88

Hi,
Thanks. Ops basic circuit.

Now what do you have the inputs and outputs of the mega connected to?
In your video I see many, many wires to I/O of the mega.

Just one mega circuit would do, if all are similar.
They all quite similar actually, stuff that are connected to the boards are 2 way switches, 3 way switches, led diodes in various colors, and 2 pcs of max7219 daisy chained,which occupies 3 pins. I am only using digital pins, as theres no analog stuff i am using. Connection is like for switches, a cable goes directly to any digital pin, and other cable which is gnd goes to common ground.

Yet i am telling you, this is probably the 6th or 7th system i have done like this and never experienced such a problem before.

TomGeorge

Hi,
Yet i am telling you, this is probably the 6th or 7th system i have done like this and never experienced such a problem before.
And you have no circuit diagram, so how do you know they are all the same?

and 2 pcs of max7219 daisy chained
Where do they get their power from?
What are the 7219s driving, where do they get their power?
How much current do they consume?

You admit you have a power supply problem, yet have no idea how much current each board is consuming.

Tom.... :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

ReverseEMF

Jun 25, 2019, 04:44 pm Last Edit: Jun 25, 2019, 04:47 pm by ReverseEMF
Dude, you are making this very hard for us: PLEASE READ: How To Use This Forum
And so TomGeorge doesn't have to keep re-posting your photos, please read: How To Embed Uploaded Photos
"It's a big galaxy, Mr. Scott"

Please DON'T Private Message to me, what should be part of the Public Conversation -- especially if it's to correct a mistake, or contradict a statement!  Let it ALL hang out!!

Slammer88

Guys, please stop asking me for schematics, I already gave you one, it's the best I can do for now.

Yet It's nothing more than that, really. I mean, there's no atom science going on there. There's no need of a schematic for such a basic system. if you give a quick search on youtube like "mobiflight cockpit" or "Arduino cockpit" you'll see how simple it is.

Instead of questioning "what's plugged in digital pins?", i think you should focus on "why the hell would a 12V Led Strip ruins the operation of Arduinos while there's actually no connection inbetween", BECAUSE, as long as the LED Strip is off and de-powered, everything, every button, every switch, every Led Diode, every encoder IS working!

I repeat; all of the parts (switches, LED diodes[not the strip], rotary switches, momentary buttons, encoders, 2 Daisy chained Max7219 modules) are DIRECTLY connected to the Arduino's digital inputs. Led diodes have their individual 150ohm resistors. Other parts do NOT have any kind of part like resistor or capacitor soldered to them; they are just directly connected to digital pins. And of course, their ground pins are connected to a common ground one by one, for each switch, each encoder, each button, etc. Max7219 modules are getting their power from a single Mega, no external power supply for it, because I didn't have any power loss. Also if you bothered to take a look at the videos, you might have seen the cables going on to the boards from the parts; red ones are for switches, rotaries, encoders, etc. and yellow ones are for diodes.

Anyway, I will prepare a detailed, close-up, self-explanatory video tonight about what is what, and share with you, as it'd be the best for both of us to understand each other.

Romonaga

BECAUSE, as long as the LED Strip is off and de-powered, everything, every button, every switch, every Led Diode, every encoder IS working!

And this itself indicates a power issue, or ground issue.  This is why it is important to see schematics and how everything is wired.
The universe exists only because we are aware of it.
We want a few mad people now. See where the sane ones have landed us!

Slammer88

And this itself indicates a power issue, or ground issue.  This is why it is important to see schematics and how everything is wired.
All right, i prepared a long video and currently uploading. There i explained everything you wonder.

Southpark

Here's a nice test for you to try. Keep the arduino system powered up with its own supply.... usb right? Then keep the led strip and the strip's supply away from the arduinos. Eg. Put the isolated led strip and its supply on the other side of the room..... and turn it on. And see what happens with the arduinos on the other side of the room. If all ok.... then gradually bring the led strip closer and closer to the arduinos...... which will require getting the strip and its supply closer to the arduino. This also means that the arduino has no control or contact with the strip and the strip supply. If no issue.... then you can start focusing on wiring and/or component and/or noise and/or supply stability and/or decoupling issues.

Slammer88

https://www.dropbox.com/s/31otrpze6g4mdwk/part1.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/53tggnsjo73lwir/part2.mp4?dl=0

There you go.. I've decided to disassemble everything behind and take a closer look to see what's going on, so it'll take some days to reassemble them all.

Grumpy_Mike

Thats because normally i didn't connect it. It was just for trial. When the problem first occured, gnd of 12v was not connected to this common system.
That is going to cause a problem and possibly this has damaged things.

The point about a schematic is that you can spot things like that very quickly. This is not something one can do by watching a video.

Southpark

Jun 26, 2019, 12:14 am Last Edit: Jun 26, 2019, 12:23 am by Southpark
There you go.. I've decided to disassemble everything behind and take a closer look to see what's going on, so it'll take some days to reassemble them all.
If you disassemble things .. then things 'behave' after you re-assemble, then you might not learn anything from your mistakes.

Also --- all the people here are trying to help trace the issue. But shifting goal posts and leaving out accurate and important details about the wiring, and even disassembling everything is pretty much a case of wasting forum members time.

You should have simply just isolated the LED strip and its power supply from the arduinos (and the arduinos supplies) .....  and then simply run the arduinos separately while running the LED strip separately ---- just to see for yourself whether or not the situation improves --- just for a test. At least if everything is ok at that point, you could then begin to take some systematic approach toward finding the issue(s).

Slammer88

If you disassemble things .. then things 'behave' after you re-assemble, then you might not learn anything from your mistakes.

Also --- all the people here are trying to help trace the issue. But shifting goal posts and leaving out accurate and important details about the wiring, and even disassembling everything is pretty much a case of wasting forum members time.

You should have simply just isolated the LED strip and its power supply from the arduinos (and the arduinos supplies) .....  and then simply run the arduinos separately while running the LED strip separately ---- just to see for yourself whether or not the situation improves --- just for a test. At least if everything is ok at that point, you could then begin to take some systematic approach toward finding the issue(s).
That's what i did. Separated the strip

You should have simply just isolated the LED strip and its power supply from the arduinos (and the arduinos supplies) .....  and then simply run the arduinos separately while running the LED strip separately ---- just to see for yourself whether or not the situation improves --- just for a test. At least if everything is ok at that point, you could then begin to take some systematic approach toward finding the issue(s).
Thats what i did. Separated the led Strips from arduino system. When i move the leds closer to arduinos, same thing happens. Problem seems to be the EMI.

ReverseEMF

Jun 26, 2019, 07:14 am Last Edit: Jun 26, 2019, 07:15 am by ReverseEMF
Guys, please stop asking me for schematics, I already gave you one, it's the best I can do for now.
Then stop asking for help, 'cuz without the proper information, in a format we can use, without having to spend an exorbitant amount of time deciphering and digging, it's next to impossible.
"It's a big galaxy, Mr. Scott"

Please DON'T Private Message to me, what should be part of the Public Conversation -- especially if it's to correct a mistake, or contradict a statement!  Let it ALL hang out!!

TomGeorge

Jun 26, 2019, 07:23 am Last Edit: Jun 26, 2019, 07:36 am by TomGeorge
Hi,
With your switches and their inputs to the Mega, have you got pull_up or pull_down resistors fitted, or have you got INPUT_PULLUP  configured in your setup function of your code?

Have you got any bypassing capacitors on your longer wires to switches and power wires to peripherals.

Tom... :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

Go Up