Go Down

Topic: New megaTinyCore for 1-series and 0-series ATtiny (like 1616, 3217, etc) (Read 21198 times) previous topic - next topic

grandaspanna

Ok, my bad - I've been taking too many shortcuts :-)

I'm sure I only updated last week and now there's 2.1.3 - I was just about to hack boards.txt ;-)

My design should have been more robust, but the user supplies the power (from an RC brushless speed controller) and across the different brands I have, it hasn't been an issue to date. In hindsight, I should have thought it through...

Oh well, I'm more confident that it won't need any hardware changes, but need to get on with some testing.

The 5 TCB's seems like an awful tease! For one of my projects, it would streamline the code by probably 50% (maybe exaggerating, but you get the idea).

Any ideas on when they plan on shipping all the good new bits?

DrAzzy

2.1.3 (and 2.1.1/2.1.2) were panic fixes to resolve critical issues with 2.1.0 - and as was discussed above on the last page of this thread, clearly even 2.1.3 didn't do the trick. I found a bunch of other bugs as I was going through boards.txt too!

Oh god, it's coming from the same power circuit as a motor? Please tell me you at least have plenty of board-level decoupling caps! Motors are notorious for messing up electronics on the same circuit as they are, because of all the noise they put onto the power rails. Then again, these customers are only having problems at startup, so it can't be too bad, heh... 

Hm? The AVR128DA's have been shipping since like, april? (no MVIO, OPAMPs, HF crystal support... but they've got all the timers and stuff). The AVR128DB's have been on microchip direct since like august... but except for the garbage 28-pin ones, and occasionally some annoying QFN parts, they would only ship them to you if you bought a tray (160-250 parts or something stupid like that) - but this week, it looks like they removed the minimum increment; I'm going to place my order today. They claim to be shipping them next week too (microchip direct often sells stuff a week or two before it actually rolls off the production line)

Do be sure to read the silicon errata if you're going to be directly writing registers. Particularly the 128k parts (which they shipped first from these new Dx-series') are, ah, a little buggy.... They have been doing a much better job of updating the DB-series errata sheets than the DA-series (they admitted to me back in like, july, that on the 128DA parts, only the default portmux setting works - on the other settings, all 4 pins are controlled by the bit that is supposed to control CTRLA (basically, that means only the default portmux option, that is PORTA, works.... rather unfortunate.... but I suspect they will get that sorted out sooner rather than later, since the parts are generally such a shitshow of bugs, and the initial releases of all the 32 and 64k parts don't have nearly as many bugs. Generally, unless you're directly writing registers though, my cores either hide the bugs from you (like the ADC POSMUX one), or don't provide a wrapper around the broken functionality.  Where you see it most is in the fact that, for example, the pins DxCore chooses to put the TCD0 and TCA1 PWM seem to be poorly chosen... Well, if it worked like the datasheet said, yeah, I'd need my head examined - but the silicon errata forced my hand. 

The tinyAVR 2-series in 16k flash is probably by the end of this year or january 2021, based on the estimates from distributors? Though they may be telling the suppliers overly optimistic delivery dates... 

No idea on the the DD (and EA) series parts; they've just released like, the first few pages of the datasheets as a product brief - pinout images, IO pin multiplexing table, feature lists, that kinda stuff. And the EA-series isn't particularly interesting - tiny flash, lots of pins - probably mad cheap. If I had to guess, they're targeting the people currently building stuff with 8 and 16k classic AVR atmega parts. I think they would very dearly like to get people to switch to the new parts, as it's way easier to get someone familiar with the new peripherals to build something with a DB or DA, than if their only experience was with classic AVRs....My guess is, probably spring-summer 2021?
ATTinyCore and megaTinyCore for all ATtiny, DxCore for DA/DB-series! github.com/SpenceKonde
http://drazzy.com/package_drazzy.com_index.json
ATtiny breakouts, mosfets, awesome prototyping board in my store http://tindie.com/stores/DrAzzy

grandaspanna

The BEC (battery eliminator circuit) on most modern ESCs is not too bad, so haven't had any issues once it gets going. Most of them provide a regulated 6V from a 2-cell lithium battery pack that is used to drive a 3-phase/two-pole brushless motor via a collection of MOSFETS typically with a 3-8kHz PWM signal at full battery voltage. Some of them have a configurable BEC output for people who want to run their steering servos at 7.4V instead of 6V. I have a "HV" option of the board with an LDO and associated caps for that (works up to 3-cell configurations).

I was hoping for the smaller pin count DD series to be on the horizon. The attiny412 works great for this little item, the DA's could be a good workhorse for other scenarios (how did they miss the TCB OVF on the 0/1-series? :-) )

Sincerely appreciate the work you do in making this practical for hackers like me!

DrAzzy

Getting ready to release 2.1.4....

Among other things, I took the external clock option for a spin.... 32 MHz at room temperature and 2.5V!

And the thing that crapped out first was the clock source: An AVR128DA32 with the internal oscillator cranked up to 32 MHz and CLKOUT turned on! Good job Microchip! They really have done a great job with AVR.... just a few years ago, I was worried that it was going to get left behind by the industry....

Almost makes me forget about the length of the errata sheets on the Dx-series..... ("How many Microchip engineers does it take to change a lightbulb?" "The whole team! One to change the bulb, and the rest to stand next to him rotating their hand while he does it, because they're all on the same PORTMUX bit...")
ATTinyCore and megaTinyCore for all ATtiny, DxCore for DA/DB-series! github.com/SpenceKonde
http://drazzy.com/package_drazzy.com_index.json
ATtiny breakouts, mosfets, awesome prototyping board in my store http://tindie.com/stores/DrAzzy

Go Up