Go Down

Topic: Non contact capacitive water level sensor (Read 221 times) previous topic - next topic

VestKok

Hi guys, anyone succeeded in utilising arduino uno on measuring water level with non contact capacitive sensor (resistor with aluminium foil)?

TomGeorge

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html .

This may help, its a soil moisture tester, but it includes schematics and code.

https://wiki.dfrobot.com/Capacitive_Soil_Moisture_Sensor_SKU_SEN0193

I have experimented with them for soil moisture and they do work quite well.

Tom... :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

VestKok

Jun 26, 2019, 06:57 am Last Edit: Jun 26, 2019, 06:58 am by VestKok
Thanks. But this isn't related to non contact capacitive sensor for water level.  :)

TomGeorge

Jun 26, 2019, 07:37 am Last Edit: Jun 26, 2019, 07:38 am by TomGeorge
Hi,
What range of depth are you wanting to measure?
Can you explain what you mean by "resistor with aluminium foil"?

Tom.. :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

DrDiettrich

A capacitive sensor can change its capacity depending on the amount of (relationship between) matter with high and low dielectricity. How much different are air and water? If you put two metallic plates into the tank, their capacity may change depending on the water level. But also the conductivity of the water plays a role in the measurement, even if the electrodes are electrically isolated.

Or do you have a different capacitive effect in mind?

VestKok

Hi, I have solved the problem. It is with my settings. It is now able to measure water level in the container (non-metallic) by connecting it to aluminum foil.

Thanks alot with the help.

wvmarle

Hi guys, anyone succeeded in utilising arduino uno on measuring water level with non contact capacitive sensor (resistor with aluminium foil)?
I did such a test a few years ago with a NodeMCU, didn't have an Uno at the time so not with an Uno. It worked. Two strips of aluminium foil taped next to each other on a plastic jar.

Didn't try if there's any effect of difference in conductivity of the water, and if so how much.
Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

VestKok

I did such a test a few years ago with a NodeMCU, didn't have an Uno at the time so not with an Uno. It worked. Two strips of aluminium foil taped next to each other on a plastic jar.

Didn't try if there's any effect of difference in conductivity of the water, and if so how much.
Nicely done! Keep it up..

Go Up