"Checking target MCU" taking forever.

While trying to program Banggood 8x8x8 led cube, I got this problem. After selecting the right MCU-Type, port, code file and pressing the Download/Program button, but for some reason, the program is stuck on "Checking Target MCU".

I have little to no experience with programming. Any help would be appreciated.
(using STC-ISP programmer)

Which Arduino is it ?

Looks like an STC microcontroller. Something that does not run Arduino code or use any of the Arduino tools. I don't think we'll be able to help you...

I’ve never had a Prolific usb to serial that worked with Windows XP or win 7. Do you know with absolute certainty the adapter works with your pc? Have you done a loop back test?

this is the cube:

I know it isn't an Arduino, but after searching the whole internet, this was the only site/forum where I could even find things related to this problem.

And yes, I have done the loopback test and everything works fine.

CensoredBaquette:
I know it isn't an Arduino, but after searching the whole internet, this was the only site/forum where I could even find things related to this problem.

As no-one has answered, it appears no-one knows about the combination of devices you are using, perhaps thats no surprise as they are not related to Arduino in any way.

Perhaps go back to whoever sold you the 'Banggood 8x8x8 led cube' and ask them for help.

I have little to no experience with programming. Any help would be appreciated.

Then it would be a very good idea to choose a microcontroller that is well supported, such as Arduino.

Isn’t the USB adapter there to just stream music to the device?

I should have asked in my first post why do you think you need to reflash the processor? It should be pre-loaded from Banggood. If you’re going to attempt it, you need a known good hex image to download. I’ve never seen a Chinese kit with an STC micro that the end user had to flash, they always arrive with the program already loaded.

FWIW, STC micros need the power pulsed to the processor to wake up the boot loader so the STC-ISP program can communicate with the device. They also need a diode and some resistors in the rx/tx lines to prevent parasitic powering of the rest of the project, it’s all documented in the STC chip manuals. It might be built into the board but I seriously doubt it. It’s about 10 cents worth of parts and I’ve never seen a Chinese DIY kit yet that had the circuit on-board, you have to build your own per the cpu manual and insert between the usb-serial adapter and the board.

I was incorrect in my previous statement about a diode and resistors in the rx/tx lines, this does not apply to the 12C series parts, only the later 15 series parts. The 12C ISP hook up is shown in the datasheet here:

http://www.stcmcu.com/datasheet/stc/stc-ad-pdf/stc12c5a60s2-english.pdf

Hi just search for some STC debugging on google and find this here. for connecting STC15 to a FTDI FT232RL (USB to TTL) and upload the program you should cold reset the MCU after you see the “Checking target MCU” message. cold reset mean you should have a switch on the VCC (power) line between your USBtoTTL converter and MCU and open and close the switch after you see the checking target MCU message. Btw you need to have a 220ohm resistor from the FTDI TX pin to the MCU RX pin. hope this helps after a long time.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.