Go Down

Topic: Visual Studio Development tools for developing windows apps to work with Arduino (Read 906 times) previous topic - next topic

ghostdzog

Hello
I recently found out that it was possible to use Visual Studio for developing apps to run on windows
which interface and interact with Arduino boards etc (and other software).

I am interested in developing an app that runs on Windows 10, which interfaces with the Arduino and software that runs on Windows.

I am presently primarily interested in building tactile physical control surfaces that can be used to control software and 3rd party plug ins that run on Windows 10.

For example. I would like to be able to control some features of Pro Audio software from a tactile bespoke control surface that i designed myself, and would like to be able to build a small applet that can be used to tailor the messages from the arduino over USB or Ethernet, before being sent on to other software.

If there is anyone on the board that knows about Visual Studio and Arduino, please can you advise me
as to which version of the software to use.

Thanks
Kind regards
J

sumguy

Serial communication is a popular method of communication and easy to implement between a PC and arduino and even if you don't choose serial the following link will help you understand how to create a simple protocol that makes communications more reliable.

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=288234.0

Visual Studio Community is a good download

https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/community/

Visual Studio may initially seem like a nightmare to get started with but whether it's C# or VB there is one short and simple serial method for both that can be adapted to fit virtually all scenarios where serial comms are involved.

Read Ronin2's tutorial and download VS Community and you should get a lot of the help you need in these forums.

Power_Broker

On top of what sumguy said, you can use this C++ library to allow your Windows app to interface with the computer's COM port (and, by extension, your Arduino) in the exact same way your Arduino interfaces with its Serial port.
"The desire that guides me in all I do is the desire to harness the forces of nature to the service of mankind."
   - Nikola Tesla

sterretje

You can not control a Windows application from an Arduino unless you're using an Arduino that can act as a HID (e.g. Arduino Leonardo).

If that's not the case, you have to write a Windows application that reads serial port data and 'converts' it to commands for your application.
If you understand an example, use it.
If you don't understand an example, don't use it.

Electronics engineer by trade, software engineer by profession. Trying to get back into electronics after 15 years absence.

Go Up